Injection pump options?

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Has anyone ever put a db4 on one of these? Is it possible or what would it take? What do you guys think of it? My truck im building wont be a daily driver but i would like it to be very reliable but 6.5s used db4s so they should be real reliable. Whats your opinions on it?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What your thinking about is a hybrid DB2-DB4 pump. The GM DB4 turns the opposite direction from our engines plus it wont mount directly to our engines. Thats why the internals are taken from a DB4 and installed in the DB2 case... There is plenty more than that but I have not seen or done it. They are very costly too from what I have read here. Also they are not going to make 180cc of fuel either. We had a past member buy a hybrid pump from a "builder" only to find out that guy had nothing to do with the build. He bought the pump from the true builder and it was not made to push 180cc of fuel. Its only capable of around 120cc I recall. Any more and the drive bolts and drive pin shear. That turned into a real mess with the socaled builder. The owner was lied to and researched the builder and started working directly with him anf bypassed the middle guy. Turns out that was a shamefull mess. The customer asked for a special pump... Paid big for that... It never was what he paid for and because he did the research it all worked out for him but the exposing of a less than trustworthy middle man still has some members here wondering why that happened.

Last edited:

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
What does like a stock db2 flow and what does a moose pump flow compared to a hybrid db2-db4?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They actually solved the issue with cam pins now. The pin is now roughly twice the size of a stock cam pin. As far as the max CCs they are running, NMB2's is now up to 132cc and RacinNdrummin's is like 157cc. They put a lot of time and effort into correcting the issues that made the original pump unreliable and are now putting quite a few miles on those pumps in their daily drivers. To sum it up, the issues that were once a problem with these pumps are gone. I plan on getting one as soon as I can afford it. As Devon said, look at their builds over at FTE. You will find a lot of info on their setups there...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What turbo are you planning on using? No need for more fuel than 90cc if you are not running something other than a ATS, Banks, or Hypermax turbo.

Also, if you want to keep it reliable, you'll have to do other things to keep it that way with big fuel and air.

Heath

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... My fat fingers are best used as pointers for those drivers all around me...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I thought 6.5's used DS4's?

Stock pump can do 70-75cc's max, maybe. Moose pump does 90cc's. The DB2/DB4 hybrid pumps can do much more, but are probably pretty spendy.

If I was to just get a pump that a stock turbo could handle, without wanting to go all custom, it would be a Moose or like pump. 90cc's of fuel isnt a lot, but it is certinaly enough to get anything done. In context, a stock OBS powerstrokes injectors are 90cc's, so a moose equiped truck should make as much (maybe slightly less) power than a chipped OBS on a hot setting with stock injectors.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What turbo are you planning on using? No need for more fuel than 90cc if you are running an ATS, Banks, or Hypermax turbo.

Heath
Fixed it for ya. :D

I'm pretty sure you would be off the turbo map for any of the standard aftermarket or ford factory turbo kits if you are putting more than 90cc into the engine. You need to size your turbo to your expected HP rating and work that backwards to your fuel flow . Something around 2 to 2.6 HP/cc I seem to recall gleaning from NMB/racinndrummin builds. :dunno

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
I havnt decided yet. Im not going to be running a factory turbo. Im just wondering about the possibilities of fuel I have. I was thinking of like an s300 based turbo or something of the sort. I will get the turbo before I would get a pump though.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a stock pump turned wide open and it supplies plenty of fuel for what I do, an s300 may support more but every engine is different.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
I dont have a specific performance goal or anything for the truck. Just building it for fun to see what I can get out of it. I dont care if it has 200hp when im done but its just a project and im curious what I can push. I deffinatly appriciate all the help and knowledge from all you guys too!