In need of two cams

IDIVince

Reaction score
Need two performance camshafts for IDI. R&D is out of stock. I don't care if they are new, reground, or used.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I believe the way R&D works, is he has them reground, so he doesn't always keep them in stock.
Pm Typ4 here, he sells them.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet truck bro...you guys are killing me with these dentside fords with idi's. That's the ultimate truck in my opinion...wished i had one... Just look up type4 on this website and he can hook you up....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Nice rig but.. Your pushing the limit of boost and pyro temps. Anything much more than 13 or 14 lbs is so heated that your not doing much for the added boost. The air compressed ends up around 300 degrees plus going in the engine with that sidewinder Banks. Limit it to 1100 and say safe. If you want to boost that high install an intercooler. Then the engine will make more useable hp and torque. A head stud kit should also be installed or you will lift a head. Many before you have tried running high boost but blew head gaskets. Russ aka typ4 is the best person to deal with for a cam. What he found and shared with this forum dates back to the logging days and before turbos were much of a deal on our idi engines. they really wake up any idi turbo or not.

IDIVince

Reaction score
This engine has been together since 1998 and has 190k on it now. It was in a 4door dualy that hauled a 32 foot trailer with two or more JD tractors back and forth of West Virginia. It only pull that kind of booze going up the hills. It was my dads truck and he built engine. he had the truck up until think it was about 2005 when somebody rear ended him hard enough to push to the bed into the cab and pretty much junked the truck. Kept the engine started this project in 2006. I've only got it to go to about 10 pounds of boost on hauling my pulling truck. I've only seen EGTs at 1050. But I haven't taken it up any steep hills. I know it all out pull my brothers 96 powerstroke. As far as the head gaskets going it's got some multi-layered steel head gaskets on it that were made by us seals that were custom made and I have two pairs of them left.

IDIVince

Reaction score
I just talked to my dad to refresh my memory on what he did to the engine. The engine gave out on that truck with 500,000 miles on it. He was working for Shumaker performance at the time and have access to all the parts he needed. I'll start from the top, it has high ratio roller rockers, comp valve springs, full stainless one piece valve, multi layered steal head gaskets high performance head bolts that he does not remember what brand, the heads were sent off and ported, forged pistons made by J & E, custom ground camshafts that was ground by a guy who did powerstroke cams at the time( he is now dead and nobody knows what happened to all the equipment and specifications), and the rest is all stock

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you ever pull that cam we can get the specs measured. I hate when those great engine guys with all the tricks pass away.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Removing that cam is a great idea. Capturing the cam specs is very important to the help of the idi community. Having a typ4 cam ready to install will keep this truck on the rods too.

IDIVince

Reaction score
We're going through the paperwork to see if we can find the specs on the cam. He thinks its got 510 lift With 1.7 :1 ratio rockers. He does know that the pistons are.080 shorter than stock and do have valve releases.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to see the Guts of that bad boy.... Sounds like there could be some cool stuff inside.... .510 valve lift... MMMM NEED MORE INFO!!!!

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
forget the cam.
i want to see how this monster starts cold.
.080 slice of the piston tops with valve reliefs gotta have some neg effects on the compression.

IDIVince

Reaction score
All we found is Duration @ 50 In 184 EX 196 Cam lift is .265 with 1.7:1 so that makes the valve lift .450. He does not have the timing specs. CR is 18:1. It starts good. I might put it on the dyno at he end of summer thunder. I'll let you guys know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online