I'll never let anyone drive my truck

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This weekend took my boat out for a nice day of fishing. My brother caught a nice 24" fluke which is very rare in the waters off New Jersey, anyway after about 5 hours we headed back to the ramp and anything that could go wrong went wrong:mad:. First we broke the negative stud on the battery from it not being strapped down and lost power lucky for us we were right at the dock and just drifted in. I get my truck and back the trailer down the ramp and my brother in laws duty was to winch the boat on to the trailer, He has trouble with the winch some how he trashed the switch-cuss, so I trade places with him. I had to manually winch the boat on to the trailer. So without thinking I tell him to pull the boat up the ramp easy task you would think for the IDI.... I'm able to pull the boat up the ramp in first with mostly just the idle and crawl out without the truck breaking a sweat. The bro in law revs the engine and barely lets the clutch out to get it to move and I start to see some smoke coming from under the truck-cuss. I ran down the ramp to stop him and I all I could smell is my new clutch -cuss. Got him out of the cab and didn't say a word. This happen saturday and I'm still pissed today so I had to rant here, I'd like to know if he did any damage to the clutch by smoking it that way? It seem to shift and pull the boat ok after when I drove it home. Thanks I just had to blow off some steam:backoff

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it drives ok and tows the boat ok I would not worry about it. The next time you take him out though have him in the boat until the boat is out of the water, on the trailer and off the ramp in the lot.

If he makes any mistakes then, make sure he stays in the boat for the ride home. If he doesn't make any mistakes tell him he is lucky and should be grateful to get a ride back in the cab of the truck.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The only people I would ever allow drive my truck are other 'brotherhood of oilburners' members... :sly

My brother called a few months back and asked to use my truck to move all his stuff to southern cali. Sorry bro, no can do. I'd give him the shirt off my back but not the keys to my truck. :D

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
instead of getting mad and then not telling him what he did wrong, TELL HIM. he probly doesn't even know how to get a boat out of the water.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.... Sounds like a pissed off day you had.... Sorry for that too. Fors sure you lost some life o the clutch and flywheel. How much you wont know till it fails hauling something up a grade. Then just back out of the throttle and drop a gear. That usually helps but its just a matter of time till your out of clutch. At least you didn't loan it out only to get it back with a "story" about its making a funny noise and theres a weird smell......:sly

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im with you bro. I loaned one of my old idi's 3 times to 3 different people. First time it came back with a smoked e4od. Got nothing for that, not even an apology, so I swapped in a 5 speed at my expense. Next time I loaned it out it came back with a burned out starter and dead batteries. The only response I got from the "friend" I loaned it to was "I wondered what that wait to start light thingy on the dash meant"-cuss He just put the key in and started cranking it in 30 degree weather without glowing and didnt let off the key until it completely quit cranking. The third and final time I loaned it, It was to a friend who seemed competent enough(he owned a 12v cummins) only I didn't count on his wife driving it.........................She could drive and operate the truck well, just didnt realize that diesels use DIESEL FUEL, not GASOLINE! So for my payment for loaning the truck I got front and rear tanks full to the brim with 93 octane gasoline. To make matters worse, she drove it until it ran so bad that it quit, the somehow cranked on it and got it to start again, drove some more and got it home and DIDN"T SAY A WORD TO ANYONE! When I went to pick it up I thought my engine was blown when I tried to start it and it sounded like a combination of a jet engine and a pea thrasher at the same time. :dunno It wasnt until I took off the fuel filler cap and smelled gasoline that I realized what happened. Again, no apology, no "what can I do", no NOTHING!
I swore that would be the last time anyone other than myself or my father drove my truck.................

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smoked in first gear? Probably wasn't in first.

Thats what I was thinking, bro in law must drive an auto, or a honda.LOL

Probably didnt do much damage, just "defuzzed" the disc, I do that about twice a year to reduce the chatter/ jerky engagement.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My BFF Mel :haildrove my truck
But once he got behind the wheel he seemed quite impressed. ;Sweet
PS...sorry I couldn't make the Pa Boob Rally, health difficulties keep me quite local. however, I was there in spirit.

Last edited:

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Good news - bad news.

The good news is that since it is a new clutch, you can probably use it for a long time without worries or concern. The bad news is the smoke. That always means something bad is happening. Either the disc is burned or the flywheel now has blue (hard, slippery) spots on it and will have to be ground the next time you change the clutch. Either way, the lifespan of the clutch was reduced significantly.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea I wouldnt let anyone drive my vehicles unless its my family since we are all car/truck nuts and know how to use them. If you need help movin, I will be the one drivin the truck with my trailer behind it.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
and anything that could go wrong went wrong:mad:.

did it?

You must be registered for see images attach

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao people burned the tires at full throttle as the truck rolled backwards... they didn't think to hit the brakes...

But I agree, can't stand ppl drivin my truck; you have the right to rant.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did it?

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao people burned the tires at full throttle as the truck rolled backwards... they didn't think to hit the brakes...

But I agree, can't stand ppl drivin my truck; you have the right to rant.

I have some neighbors in my old neighborhood that are retired. For ***** and giggles they sometimes go to a boat launch ramp just to watch. One time they saw a guy do exactly what was pictured. If you are bored one day and need something to do watching people at the boat launch ramp might be the thing to do. It does not cost anything and your sure to :rotflmao

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one a half mile away and yes, it is great entertaiment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Staff online