I'll never let anyone drive my truck

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't let ANYONE drive my truck with one exception... My girlfriend. In turn, I'm the only one who is allowed to drive her truck (a 450 hp '99 powerstroke). It's her pride and joy, and she did all the work herself. She is the only person I trust to drive mine, and know when something is wrong and not jack it up further if something breaks. She knows what a pyro and boost gauge is for, and watches them closely. Other than her, I trust NO ONE with my ride...

If someone smoked the clutch on my truck I would be LIVID!

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
I have some neighbors in my old neighborhood that are retired. For ***** and giggles they sometimes go to a boat launch ramp just to watch. One time they saw a guy do exactly what was pictured. If you are bored one day and need something to do watching people at the boat launch ramp might be the thing to do. It does not cost anything and your sure to :rotflmao

One time I saw a 70 or so year old guy with all kinds of chains and necklaces on, with 2 what looked to be 20 yr old chicks in the car hangin' all over him, try to make it out of a steep launch with his Corvette. It looked like an 03' or so and he had a 22' Pig Boat behind it that weighed, probably twice the car. He backed the boat in and realized that the car didn't have enough weight to stop the boat and there he is sliding down the ramp backwards :D. So, the genius that he is puts it in D and mashes it to the floor. I'm assuming that all of yins know what the end result was, a Corvette sank and still hanging from the trailer. Along with lots o laughing people in the parking lot :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

wmoguy

Reaction score
that sucks man.

that said its a clutch. no sense in letting a material object come between family. :dunno

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your bro inlaw is obviously not used to driving a clutch. IMHO, it's main the reason for burning your clutch a bit. 2 more reasons are: not familiar with a torque a diesel has and it would be embarrassing for him to stall the truck in your presence. Heaven forbid he dunk your truck in the water or risk injury to you. I hope you can get past your anger over his inexperience and help him learn how to better serve you when you need his help

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were at the public launch at Lake Hopatcong. Not sure if any of you are familiar with it, but it's a standard launch, space for two trailers IF IF IF IF both are skilled and pull tight to each side. Off to one side is some gravel and a cliff. Everyone knows than to try to launch there, as tempting as it is with a line of 50 people waiting to come in or go out.

We're waiting our turn and this ***** in a BMW "suv" cuts everyone off (big line that day) and rams her "truck" down this gravel part with her twin jet ski trailer. I have never seen jet skis this big either, HUUUUGE. Anyway, the trailer drops off the cliff, dumps one ski sideways, and since it's tethered it was sinking. The other one floats off its skid and ends up sideways on the trailer. She stands there for a while, I think assuming someone will come to her aide. But she seems to not recall cutting at least 40 or more people in line with her ******* move. My dad ends up pulling her truck and the trailer out (he has a 98 F250 with a 4.6 and it did well!!) but she's still stuck with one jet ski sideways in the water with tether tangled all over the place, and the other one sideways on the trailer, hanging off. We left her like that.

As far as letting people use your vehicle, it almost always ends badly. Especially family. It's not like you can beat them haha. My father grenaded his flywheel. So I gave him my minivan for the day while I replaced it. I call my dad when I finish his truck and he's like "oh yeah, your van only has 1st and 2nd. I suspect he was hauling the same crap around he does with his work truck arg!! My brother has a Mustang and a jet ski... so when he wants to play with the ski he has to use someone's car. IT ALWAYS COMES BACK EMPTY!

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Coulda been worse, he coulda stalled it, freaked out and you'd have an IDI aquarium....Always look at the bright side. The empty part of the glass will make you go insane.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are bored one day and need something to do watching people at the boat launch ramp might be the thing to do. It does not cost anything and your sure to :rotflmao

X2 its the best free entertainment around. It's nice living close to Indiana's largest natural lake so you get all the lakers from out of state that have minimal towing/backing experience trying to get there 50k boat in the water. I find the Benny Hill theme song to be a very appropriate tune to listen to when watching them. :rotflmao

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I have some neighbors in my old neighborhood that are retired. For ***** and giggles they sometimes go to a boat launch ramp just to watch. One time they saw a guy do exactly what was pictured. If you are bored one day and need something to do watching people at the boat launch ramp might be the thing to do. It does not cost anything and your sure to :rotflmao
as 16 year old kids we would load and unload a 22' checkmate while others could not even back straight.....;Really

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Little bit different as it's not at a ramp, but several years ago we had gotten lots of rain and Lake Cisco was way up. There is an area that everyone just calls the point. I think every lake has one. Anyway this is a gravel bar the usually extends out quite a ways but due to the rain it is submerged right up to the little paved area at the top. I was there with some friends when this guy with a jeep with an old carbed v8 decided to leave. He is parked close to and facing the water. He puts his left foot on the clutch and right on the gas and as he is trying to start it, it's rolling into the water. He hits the brake to stop, then lets off the brake to try again. Further into the water he goes. :rotflmao He repeats this until he submerges the engine, while everyone is telling him to set his park brake or put his right foot on the brake and the gas! :rotflmao:rotflmao He was pulled out by a chevy truck where he learns that he is going to need to be towed to town to drain it to get it going.
I think it was the very next day that we saw another guy in an olds or buick come flying in the entrance only to see the water too late and slide right in. I guess all the cars parked right up there wasn't enough of a hint.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I had a Mercury station wagon pulling a trailer with a 22' cuddy cabin boat, one heavy son of a gun. Launched the boat in Sandusky OH at a very steep ramp. Sunday evening when everyone was loading up, my turn to load, bow was on the trailer but when it was all the way on and up out of the water all I could do was spin the wheels on the wet concrete, solution, put my 10 yr.old son in the boat, start the Volvo Aquamatic outdrive, when I start to move rev her up, up up and away we go. The crowd was all clapping and Dave was taking bows. :thumbsup: :D

Oh, he did shut it off as soon as the prop was out of the water.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:backoff NOBODY --- PERIOD drives my truck for any reason, UNLESS I have hired them to do so when we are out for days and days.

That being said, I doubt any long-term damage was done to the clutch.

They need a good occasional slipping to burn off the glaze.

99% of clutches do not fail from wearing out and slipping; the release mechanism is usually what goes and, instead of not being able to pull, you are not able to get them to release. :)

Simmonscoating

Full Access Member
Reaction score
clutch should be fine. Not going to do it any good but smoking the clutch one time should not hurt it to bad if its a new one. I have a 25ft scarab and i cant tell you how many time i have been in your shoes. You need to do what i do turn one of ur buddys into a first mate. Nothing worse than a friend that as no clue esp when you waiting for 20 min for them to get the boat down the ramp wile the boat is geting slamed into the pier in 3 ft chop. lol boy need some practic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calroc