Ignition shot..steering column?

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just had the well known ignition key spin happen. Went to start the truck, and the key moves, but nothting happens.

I pulled the steering wheel off, and the key switch out, and couldn't see how to get at the mechanism in there. I got the turn signal switch screws out, but can't lift the unit up/over the center shaft(wires too short?) and I finally broke the plastic ring that sits over the column just below the key, but saw that the little pot metal rod thingy has broken(I remember reading about this in the past)

So, now I'm able to start the truck with a screwdriver, but need to figure out the fix for this.

Do I have to find a complete steering column to replace mine? (Tilt/cruise/manual shift)

or, is there some way to fix/repair/replace this little broken off piece(What a STUPID setup this is...one of Ford's dummer engineering wonders)

Anyone who knows how to get this thingy apart would be helpful....

The screwdriver trick is going to get old real fast....

Zigg :)

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Zigg

Unfortunately it sounds like you have broken the POS ignition interconnect link. Not one of Ford's better ideas. It's made out of pot metal and it's a ***** to change. Ford only part and still availble for less than $20. I've done it twice and there's really no way to explain it. Just jump in and take stuff apart until you get to it. One word of advise. You will get to a point where you can see the part and think it will come out. It won't. You need a tilt wheel pivot pin puller. The one I borrowed was a Snap-On. The pins are press fit, very small, and internally threaded (for the puller to thread into). With this tool it's a two minute job to separate the tilt...with out it there are lots of cuss words, frustration, and broken pieces. Be carefull of the pivot preload spring also.

Tom

tuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe here or here I know it isn't much help but I only had to do the key lock so far. Ed

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to dig around and see if I still have it. I think I was waiting for some mods to it from you if I recal.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Zigg

You need a tilt wheel pivot pin puller. With this tool it's a two minute job to separate the tilt...with out it there are lots of cuss words, frustration, and broken pieces. Be carefull of the pivot preload spring also.

Tom
To get around this, I just ground the chunk off of the rear of it, all it's for is the Key lock thingy that you're supposed to push to get the keys out of the ignition. I don't miss that function at all.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to dig around and see if I still have it. I think I was waiting for some mods to it from you if I recal.

ya i never got around to it.and im not very good at explaining stuff in writing as you found out.but if you do find it,could you send it to me?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Is this the solution to the outer ring on the lock cylinder being able to spin around and start the truck without the key??? i accidently started my truck the other day with another ford key and had a fun time getting it back out. if that all it takes to fix that would be great.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well.. You just opened up a 7 headed snake of a job. I have been into mine more times than I like. First off the wires to the turn sig will pull out far enough. You just need to pull harder. When thats clear the small 1/4 inch bolt and metal wedge that covers the side where the key fits needs to come off with that small ground wire. Then remove 3 phillips screws down inside the housing and as you pull it off watch the key thats in the ignition start turning. This will have to be timed when it goes back together. Now you will see a snak ring on the steering shaft, remove it. The tilt pivot pins can be pulled with a screw threaded into them. I use as long a screw as I can find with a nut and washer on it. Use a small socket or short piece of tubing to pull against and thay will come out. When you are this far into it shake the shaft. If the tilting head moves apply some epoxy or thick super glue to these pins when things go back together. When these pins are out there is a large spring under the tilt that is strong with a plastic cap to it. Just so you know. Now pull it apart and watch things. The square geared thingy is hooked up to the ignition switch and its tricky how it goes together. I messed up and needed to pull the starter solenoid wire so the truck woulndn't start and push down on the linkage so that gear would hook up to the really small pin. Now under the dash I found it best to drop the steering colum down by just removing the bolts so I could see the switch and remove the linkage. After that it start going backwards till things are all back together. If things are not clear go to a pick-a-part and experiment on a wrecked truck for information. It works for me. Hope this helps some.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, thanks, that there is just what I needed. I can see it now, just got to get the time and the patience to dive into it.

:)

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sometimes it's just easier to go to the junkyard and buy a column, mine was shot the bushings for the tilt wheel worn completely out. i found one for 50 buck with tilt and cruise and about a hour later was good to go again

big jake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry guys, haven't been online for a few days and didn't see this one........

Rich:

I remember you sending me the arcticle, I searched my emails and favorites but couldn't find it.

I got lucky one night searching Craigslist and stumbled across a guy who does mobile steering column repair and he came out to the house and rebuilt the column and installed a new lockset for around $125.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Good luck Zigg

big jake

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the solution to the outer ring on the lock cylinder being able to spin around and start the truck without the key??? i accidently started my truck the other day with another ford key and had a fun time getting it back out. if that all it takes to fix that would be great.

That problem is just the key switch broken. Have a local locksmith make you a new one to fit your key. There is no dis-assembly needed to replace the key switch. Turn the swith to "on" and put a small nail etc up in the poke-hole under the column and the key switch pulls straight out.

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem with mine couple months ago. As icanfixall says above. Mine went very well. Pretty straight forward when you get in there. I was very surprised when my Ford dealer not only had the part in stock, but for only $10.00. Just take your time. I finished in about two hours.