If Jesus can turn water to wine...

Calder

Reaction score
I can turn water to oil..
no offense to anyone's religious beliefs.

Hey y'all.

89 idi. Brand new block 100k miles ago.

At operating temp, water is converted to oil at a 1:1 rate. Its magic.:dunno

Drove across the country without losing a drop with no t-stat. Otherwise its about a gallon a minute.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No idea what your trying to say here.....

Where bouts in BC are you from?

Welcome to Oilburners btw, best site for these trucks and engines bar none.

Take some time look at tech and FAQ section and the hall of shame, you'll know where NOT to spend money!

A few members here have products for these trucks so ask lots of questions we are here to help.

Again welcome to OB to you, from a fellow BC resident!

Al

Calder

Reaction score
Hey Al, thanks a lot.

I'm working in the Whistler area right now. My problem is coolant in the crank case. I've been around this thing to know that the engine compartment is one the areas not to spend money.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Now about driving across country with no thermostat and water mixing in the oil. Well the rod & main bearing material can't handle that nor can water replace the lube qualitys of oil. My thoughts are the oil cooler o-rings are shot. Fix that now or ruin the engine. Its about a $30.00 parts cost and sure a lot cheaper than an engine. How many miles did you drive this with water in the oil. I hope you can save the engine but running with a water oil mix sounds like its too late already. I hope not but please fix it. Nobody on the planet makes these blocks any longer..

sassyrel

Reaction score
Hey Al, thanks a lot.

I'm working in the Whistler area right now. My problem is coolant in the crank case. I've been around this thing to know that the engine compartment is one the areas not to spend money.

as ican said,,cooler orings,,and do it NOW!! and hope you didnt ruin the rod and main bearings..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And PUT A FORD OR IHI THERMOSTAT IN IT!

Fixed it for you....

Only use MOTORCRAFT from Ford or IHI thermostats no craptastic Lordco or CHEAPNESE **** from any parts store...NONE..

Oil cooler O rings can be had from Typ4 or Russ, or try RockAuto Don't expect to pay 30 bucks at the dealership LOL

Good luck with this and I doubt it's oil cooler myself.

Seems that Oil pressure usually forces oil into the the coolant NOT the other way around, HOWEVER one caveat. If your oil cooler itself is rotted internally the two magical potions can become one I suppose...

Have you had issues with the engine Not turning over when attempting to start? Like it turned a bit n suddenly stopped? If so could be cavitation or HG issues causing Water in Oil.

JM2CW

Al

Calder

Reaction score
Good evenin' everyone. Thanks for the replies and all.

It has a thermostat in it now and new oil cooler. There is nor has ever been oil in the coolant.

I repeat: this only happens at operating temperature.

The truck gets worked like a boat. I change the oil every day but its getting old really fast.

Al, I have had no symptoms with the starting you describe. Are you suggesting that if I had a cylinder full of water on start up from cavitation there would be a hydrolock?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good evenin' everyone. Thanks for the replies and all.

It has a thermostat in it now and new oil cooler. There is nor has ever been oil in the coolant.

I repeat: this only happens at operating temperature.

The truck gets worked like a boat. I change the oil every day but its getting old really fast.

Al, I have had no symptoms with the starting you describe. Are you suggesting that if I had a cylinder full of water on start up from cavitation there would be a hydrolock?

Good hopefully a Ford Tstat

Now yes that is exactly what I'm referring to and then once it bled past rings it would dump into the pan and contaminate oil.

The fact that the OP is much higher in the oiling system than WP in cooling system makes oil migrate to water in our trucks when the oil cooler O rings go buh bye...USUALLY.

Hope it clears up the issue, if not report back we can re visit the issue.

Al

Calder

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Still performing miracles here! There was never an issue with my oil cooler, so nothing has changed. If there was a coolant leak into my combustion chamber, I'd be burning the coolant. Instead I'm storing it drop for drop in the crank case of the engine. Its loosing water steadily a litre per minute. I carry a couple five gallon pails of water with me and at the end of the day just dump the oil which is six feet up the dipstick. Has anyone had this problem? I'm assuming when I pull the heads it will be pretty obvious.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I wonder if the coolant is leaking through the timing cover? I bet if you make the radiator cap not hold pressure, that this problem will be much less severe till you can get it fixed.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Valley Pan Gasket?

I'm thinking maybe Valley Pan gasket. The heads have coolant holes cast into them on the intake side. The early heads used the valley pan gasket to seal them. The later heads had plugs in them. This is a known problem with the gasket rusting out and leaking. I'm not sure what year the change was made, but someone in the collective will probably chime in with that wisdom. :)

1988_head.jpg

Attachments

• 1988_head.jpg
    1988_head.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Calder

Reaction score
Thanks for that information Jordan. I will pay attention to that area as I tear it apart for the LAST time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online