If it wasn't for bad luck, i'd have no luck....stolen alcoa dually wheel

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my truck back from the shop two days ago, went and got all six new tires mounted. I go outside as theyre backing it out of the bay, and immiedietly i notice somethings wrong. The wheel on the pass rear looks...different. I said "hey i think you put the wrong wheel on the outside." The tech, clearly correcting me that it was imposible to do that and it's probably just because it's dusty it looks different. I shrug it off, saying yeah prolly. I stop to get fuel on the way home and i'm staring at it and realize...

IT'S NOT MY WHEEL. it's a totally different style rear wheel, and it's just a basic steel wheel. Icall the shop but they're closed by then and so i hury home. I clean it up and sure as ****, it's just a rusty steel wheel.

So maybe it's an honest mistake at the tire shop...but what are the odds they had a wheel for another truck laying next to the machine that just HAPPENS to fit mine. You can see my center cap is all nice nice polished (i just hand polished all my wheels a few weeks ago) and the steel wheel sticks out like a thumb. you can even see the ring of rust around the center cap doesn't match up where the old center cap (belonging to the steel wheel) was.

So now...i have to wait for the tire shop to open up an give them the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise, i'm SOL because the only other place is guess who? Yes, the shop working on my truck and you know damn well they'll never admit to anything. This is my luck, at least i can provide entertainment.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Boy that sure sucks... It could be the fools at the tire shop had no idea how to change tires on a dually too and your CORRECT rim is turned around on the rears. Just look under the turck and see if the inside duall is aluminum or steel. If its aluminum raise holly hell with the shop.. Have them fix it but check the wheel closely. Then never go back there every again...

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you I would get my money back for the engine an take the shop to court. An send the cops to the tire shop aswell an report all of this! Otherwise yes your sol. There's not much to these engines an if it was any real shop they would fix this. IMHO you can redo anything on an Idi an maybe 3 times an what you get paid to fix it is worth more than the few hour it takes to pull an engine or whatever it's frickin easy cake walk.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check out what employees drive. One of them could have your wheel on there truck

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
To pull these engines its 6 bellhousing bolts. 4 engine mount bolts. And not much more odd items...Sure its a heavy lift but going a little farther and removing the front clip sure makes the job easier than hanging over the fnders. Some even like to remove the rad core support. Lift the front of the cab. Place a 6 inch wood block under it and pull it straight out. I even removed my engine without lifting the hood at all. I just opened the hood and rigged really close to the intake manifold so it would clear the rad core support coming out. It just touched the hood insulation but no damage to it. The next 5 times in pulled and installed the engine in one day I removed the hood springs and let the hood lay back almost on the windshield. It wont really touch back there so I cut a 2x4 and placed it in the battery tray up to the hood.. Then when I was done for the day just close the hood and alls good again...

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would bet your shiny aluminum Alcoa is turned to the inside. Tire changer hopefully just didn't look at the work in front of them and put the steelie to the outside. Hopefully.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I'd be checking all 6 wheels for sure!!!!! Thats pretty ballsy to take an aluminum 8 lug dually wheel and replace it with a steel wheel.

John

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I would never go back to that shop ever again after they fix it properly for you. The more I read about this the more I think the tire handler was on **** and just had no cares what you wanted or what was correct.. Makem pay....

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would bet your shiny aluminum Alcoa is turned to the inside. Tire changer hopefully just didn't look at the work in front of them and put the steelie to the outside. Hopefully.
That's my first guess, and I HOPE that's the case...if they did swap wheels on you, given that you accepted the truck and drove off their property, they may not accept your explanation and try to claim that you swapped wheels after taking the truck away, and you may not be able to prove otherwise. :(

Either way, that REALLY sucks...best of luck with it!!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bet is that your pot-metal wheel is on the inside.

Most tire-shop employees, :( sadly, are not given any incentive to be very careful; when one works week after week after week for barely enough money to buy enough gas to get back and forth to work, one soon sours on the job. :(

Honestly, nobody in their right mind is going to purposefully swap a good steel wheel for an aluminum. :)

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is everyone talking about removing the engine? lol

It was not my wheel. Called today they said to bring it back and they'll handle it and were apologetic etc. I told them i don't want to know, i just want the wheel. All is better now. Phewf. I knew smoething was wrong because I AM short one alcoa but not two. I climbed under there and checked everything out and couldn't find a shiny one turned inside. Either way, at least i don't need them for anything else (diff shop than the engine installation one)

And in some strange news, someone is coming in today to REPLACE all his alcoas with aftermarkets. They're going to call me if he's just throwing them out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
:popcorn
How can some guy chancing your tires mess that simple thing up. About the customer replacing his alcoas.. Why are they going to ask him what he is going to do with them. This seems odd but look closely at how they supposedly fix this for you.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whether it be changing a tire, having the washing machine fixed, swapping an engine, or having the septic-tank pumped, in the rare event that I don't just handle these things myself, whoever I have doing the work is someone I have known their entire life.

I know who and how many times they married; I know where they live and what they drive; I know their kids by name and their dogs.

I also know which ones to avoid.

On the same note, I also know every problem customer in ten counties and try to avoid them as well.

I just can't comprehend purposefully dealing with complete strangers. :dunno

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whether it be changing a tire, having the washing machine fixed, swapping an engine, or having the septic-tank pumped, in the rare event that I don't just handle these things myself, whoever I have doing the work is someone I have known their entire life.

I know who and how many times they married; I know where they live and what they drive; I know their kids by name and their dogs.

I also know which ones to avoid.

On the same note, I also know every problem customer in ten counties and try to avoid them as well.

I just can't comprehend purposefully dealing with complete strangers. :dunno

i am in the same boat as you are with everything said... but with that said sometimes you just have to go outside
your comfort level and you find a great shop. No one i normally deal with would do driveshaft work, so i had to deal
with strangers, and i found an amazing little shop called penn public, and have since had them do alot of work for
me. They were complete strangers and a decent drive out of my way, but well worth it now that i have discovered them!

On topic, good news about you wheel, and the possible chance to get some spares :)

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I move too much. Lived in 5 different states in the past couple years, and i'm moving again in a few months. Don't really have a choice but to go with the 'reccomended shop' in the area.