If I was to get a newer Ford Diesel what is the year of choice?

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am possibly selling one of my completed project cars and thinking about perhaps upgrading my IDI as it will soon need money spent on it, injectors, pump, probably Rad, water pump that kind of stuff. Nothing major - but it should have an OD if I kept it. Like a GV, I know many here would say go ZF - legging a clutch all day is not for me anymore. I will pull a 6000-9000 lb gvw trailer for recoveries and hulk hauling and such. Might pull a boat down the road - probably 5000-6000 gvw - so no real serious towing. What I would need is a 3/4 or 1 ton Ext. Cab 4x4 and AT w/ OD. I'd like to at least get up to the mid to late 90's..even into the early 2000's area. My budget would be around $8,000 to $12,000. I don't know much about PSD's but it seems there were a few years to stay away from IIRC. Even if I stay with what I have it is not a terrible option - I have a good rig, it just lacks in some major components.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the psd.the years they say to stay away from mid 02-03 for all out performance reasons.they're fine for what you plan on using it for.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the psd.the years they say to stay away from mid 02-03 for all out performance reasons.they're fine for what you plan on using it for.

I'm guessing that's for the PMRs, right? Didn't they start in MY 01? I could be off though.