If i may ask what did you guy's pay for your truck or 7.3 or 6.9 powered vehicles?

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIoit,

QUESTION: Inasmuch as you are an "inboard guy", have you ever known anyone who has marine-ized a 6.9 IDI??
I have been designing a 18x62 foot 2-deck HOUSE-boat with 3 staterooms (as opposed to a house-BOAT) for 2+ years & think that a 6.9 would be PLENTY of power for a displacement hull, as the hull that I've designed wouldn't plane with 1500 HP. ====> Such a displacement hull should "ghost along at 8-10KPH, making little wake & not even much noise.
(I'm thinking a homebrew closed-system" keel cooler made of 100 feet of 3/4" copper pipe & an automotive type exhaust system, as is common in shrimpers & other commercial craft.)

I know where there is a totaled 1985 Ford PU sitting out in a pasture that got T-boned in the right side (It was hit HARD.) & can be bought for 250- 300.oo, provided that the whole MESS is taken away.

IF a 6.9 NA diesel can be turned into a IB engine fairly easily, I'll buy the MESS, take-out the engine & any other usable parts & junk the rest for its weight in steel.

yours, satx

Last edited:

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Paid 2000 for my 94 CC f250 AT with a busted up but still usable bed, blown front springs, solid cab, 150k on it, tons of little problems. Reason: new england, spotless frame.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDIoit,

QUESTION: Inasmuch as you are an "inboard guy", have you ever known anyone who has marine-ized a 6.9 IDI??
I have been designing a 18x62 foot 2-deck HOUSE-boat with 3 staterooms (as opposed to a house-BOAT) for 2+ years & think that a 6.9 would be PLENTY of power for a displacement hull, as the hull that I've designed wouldn't plane with 1500 HP. ====> Such a displacement hull should "ghost along at 8-10KPH, making little wake & not even much noise.
(I'm thinking a homebrew closed-system" keel cooler made of 100 feet of 3/4" copper pipe & an automotive type exhaust system, as is common in shrimpers & other commercial craft.)

I know where there is a totaled 1985 Ford PU sitting out in a pasture that got T-boned in the right side (It was hit HARD.) & can be bought for 250- 300.oo, provided that the whole MESS is taken away.

IF a 6.9 NA diesel can be turned into a IB engine fairly easily, I'll buy the MESS, take-out the engine & any other usable parts & junk the rest for its weight in steel.

yours, satx

i seem to remember a marine IDI, somewhere.
the biggest thing would be the heat exchanger.
you would want a closed loop for the cooling system, dont want dirty water effecting the engine.

plates for the water pump would not be hard to do.

both housings for the radiator can be modified.
i would definitely run a turbo, with PSD like up pipes and a water cooled down pipe
(would actually not go "down" lol)

i explored running PSD's in my 10M
but its a I/O and big money konrad or any other type of gear box swayed me from that decision.

running an IDI would be an excellent choice.
if you need a hand with the hardware, id be game.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIoit,

I happily ACCEPT you help in designing the marineized 6.9, as I'm FAR better at designing hulls & "houses" than engine/propulsion systems.

WHY do you think that turbocharging the engine is needed??
(As I said, the hull is full-displacement & will NOT plane. = My calculations say that I need about 85HP to "move the water" & a 85 IDI is about 150HP, I think I remember, so it would seem to be just "loafing along" at 8-10 knots..)

As I said earlier, I'm thinking a really simple homebrew "closed system" of below waterline 3/4" copper pipe. Just as simple as pumping water through the engine, out of the engine, into the water, through 100 foot of copper pipe & back through the engine. = Probably using just plain anti-freeze/water solution for the liquid in the system.

yours, satx

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because everything needs forced induction :D
you wont need it, but id love to see it..lol

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
because everything needs forced induction :D
you wont need it, but id love to see it..lol

IDIiot,

I'm trying to NOT spend $$$$$$$ and keep things REALLY simple, as I'm retired & don't want to spend a lot of time working on an engine. = The 6.9 all-mechanical diesel is about as simple, long-lasting & tough of a power-plant as I know of.

yours, satx

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's been done. I believe some came with them.
Just have to do some searching around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
79jasper,

I've looked everywhere that I can think of for a diagram, drawing or company brochure so IF you find any relevant information, PLEASE post it here.

yours, satx

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid $600 for my '84 F-250 (in sig) with unknown miles, an engine that didn't run right, lots of neglect from previous owners, wiring that was more molested than MJ's supposed victims, and a bed beat up by hay bails and whatever else that could've been thrown in it recklessly. After tightening up a loose rocker arm, pulling 80+ feet of unnecessary wires, giving the interior a good shampooing, and some minor mechanical maintenance, she's turned out to be a bargain for the price. I owe this forum and all its members a big THANK YOU for all the information that is made available for these trucks. What seemed to be a good junk yard candidate to most people has become a pretty reliable daily driver with minimal effort and expense.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
i seem to remember a marine IDI, somewhere.

someone found them on fleabay last year or the year before IIRC
all blue and white and purdy -Drool
Mercruiser did 'em with the alpha I leg (google-fu used for that part LOL)

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone found them on fleabay last year or the year before IIRC
all blue and white and purdy -Drool
Mercruiser did 'em with the alpha I leg (google-fu used for that part LOL)

I vaguely remember seeing that also. It was a nice looking package with water jackets on
the exhaust manifolds, and some sort of air-water intercooler. Wish I had kept a link now.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$150,000 or so. It's buried in my Mortgage somewhere from 33 years ago, which I'm still paying on thanks to numerous refinancing. :rolleyes:

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some $4,300 or so as I recall, and another chunk of unexpected $$ over th course or a year on some catch up maintenance and plain old age related stuff.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fsmyth,

After much "asking" of every real marine EXPERT that I could think of, I found out that CASCADE ENGINEERING in Ft Worth, TX and STERLING MARINE PRODUCTS & FABRICATION in Flint, MI once made conventional inboard engines out of the 6.9 & Mercury Marine made I/O systems from the 7.3.

CASCADE ENGINEERING seems to still be in business but evidently has NO website & their listed phone goes to a fax machine. = ??????? is all I can say about that.
STERLING MARINE PRODUCTS & FABRICATION closed their doors forever around 1990.

yours, satx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726