If i may ask what did you guy's pay for your truck or 7.3 or 6.9 powered vehicles?

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It DOES look to be somewhat of a rarity. OK, duck now. There may be folks here throwing stuff....

Taking that into consideration, I probably would look more to using a Cummins 6BT or DT466.
Should be able to find SAE bellhousings for both fairly easily.
All of the crew boats and shore rigs I have ever been on were using Cummins or Detroits.
Any one of the 3 will have ample torque, but all exc. the Cummins will be considerably heavier.
And marine manifolds/pumps/coolers/electrical should be relatively easy to find.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fsmyth,

Pardon me for pointing out that a good-running 6.9 NA engine will probably outlive me, has sufficient HP to push my HOUSE-boat to full hull-speed & for $$$ instead of $$$$ times 10.
(The going rate for a 4BT or 6BT, in running condition around here is 2500-3000USD.)

I'd guess that the most difficult part of marineizing a 6.9 is having a bellhousing made that will bolt-up-to the marine reverse gear & circulator pump mountings.
Btw, IDIiot has volunteered to help me with the marinizing hardware design. - I accepted his KIND offer.

just my OPINION, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwalterus,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU & yet again, THANK YOU.

You've saved me, I suspect, a great deal of $$$$$, time & headaches. - I suspect (but do not know) that a lot of the parts for a 7.3-based conventional IB will fit the 6.9.

yours, satx

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fsmyth,

Pardon me for pointing out that a good-running 6.9 NA engine will probably outlive me, has sufficient HP to push my HOUSE-boat to full hull-speed & for $$$ instead of $$$$ times 10.
(The going rate for a 4BT or 6BT, in running condition around here is 2500-3000USD.)

I'd guess that the most difficult part of marineizing a 6.9 is having a bellhousing made that will bolt-up-to the marine reverse gear & circulator pump mountings.
Btw, IDIiot has volunteered to help me with the marinizing hardware design. - I accepted his KIND offer.

just my OPINION, satx

Sorry - missed somehow that you already had a running engine to use.
By all means (and I _should_ have added this to my previous), one of the best
selection criteria is "use what you got, if you can".
And if I can help in any way, let me know. I am not THAT far from you.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fsmyth,

I have one "spotted" but not purchased for CHEAP. = 250.oo for the whole T-boned/totaled PU.
(I would guess that I can strip enough usable stuff off of the wreck to pay the whole cost.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online