IDI's have reinvented nickel and dime

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day this truck is going to nickel and dime me to death. Then I realized, IDI's have uped the ante, but if you figure in time value of money, inflation, and simple math is makes sense. Basically you take .05 and .10, move the decimal place 3 to the right giving you $50 and $100. Now that we have brought the cliche up to todays times I can go to bed with empty pockets. LOL

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They tend to nickel and dime during the short term, but amortize those costs over several years and compare it to a new truck, (factoring in depreciation on the new truck of course) and I think you will be quite pleased by your costs per mile.
I know I am.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They tend to nickel and dime during the short term, but amortize those costs over several years and compare it to a new truck, (factoring in depreciation on the new truck of course) and I think you will be quite pleased by your costs per mile.
I know I am.

I agree with ya there. I figure once I replace everything it will be a brand new truck. I can rebuild this one 3 or 4 times for the price of a new one with the same options. The only difference is I have to have the cash to do it. I think I got a keeper though. Only took me 3 yrs to find this truck.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day this truck is going to nickel and dime me to death. Then I realized, IDI's have uped the ante, but if you figure in time value of money, inflation, and simple math is makes sense. Basically you take .05 and .10, move the decimal place 3 to the right giving you $50 and $100. Now that we have brought the cliche up to todays times I can go to bed with empty pockets. LOL

Thanks for the good laugh! LOL

My truck needs something fixed or replaced daily:D that's for sure!!!

I agree about amortizing the costs though. Just last night my wife and I were talking about the costs of new trucks. She said "for all the money you are planning on putting into that truck, why not just save up and buy a newer one"

I told her that for $4-5k I could basically rebuild this thing mechanically (and do a little body work too) Good luck finding a good new truck for that, eh? She still doesn't see it my way, but she will come around!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to be nickle and dime'd, just go get the same loan you would get for a new truck, and start replacing every part you have in your IDI with new. I'd be willing to bet you will run out of things to do and still have money left over. ;Really I know the feeling though. This 8 lug conversion project has been a lot like that. What I thought would be a $200 project has turned into a $1200 project so far. :rolleyes: But I can't blame anybody other than me for that. It's certainly not the Moosestang's fault.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my truck, heck I bought it new!
However it's getting to a point where I don't want to be turning wrenches more than driving it. At times I don't have the TIME and attention old things need to keep going. :rolleyes:
I would never buy new again however a 1-2 year old F150 Lariat Super Crew 6.5 bed is looking good right now. :sly

If I could find out how much $$$ to do a off-the-frame replace/repair anything in question 'restore' I would consider it.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
simple math is makes sense. Basically you take .05 and .10, move the decimal place 3 to the right giving you $50 and $100. Now that we have brought the cliche up to todays times I can go to bed with empty pockets. LOL

If you think that's bad you need to take the decimal from .05 and .10 and move it five places (i.e. $5000 and $10,000) and you will know what it is like to own a newer 6.0 PSD... :sly

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I am.

I have had the opportunity to own new, used, and severely used vehicles in my life. Several of each, sometimes all of the above at the same time.

I've come to an important realization. Buying a new vehicle is a complete waste of money but for the most part, an insurance policy. If you don't care about money and don't want to risk breaking down, by all means, buy new.

I bought a Tundra in 2005 for ~$35k OTD. This year I sold that truck for <$19k. Factor in the cost of increased insurance, registration, gas(worse mileage than my crew cab), maintenance and I am SWAG'ing that I could get about 5-7 IDIs for that price. one for each day of the week or simply replace one and throw the old one away every 8 months(blasphemy, I know, just a comparison).

As for the insurance of reduced break-downs, ~$50/year for AAA roadside service and I can live with the risk.

LumbermanSVO

Reaction score
When I still had my truck my girlfriend complained about the cost of repairing it. When I bought a new starter for it she told me to buy a new truck. I ran a quick spreadsheet with the cost of a new truck, insurance, and started adding in repairs after 5 years. I compared that to the old truck and increased the cost of repairs as time went by. The break even point was about 22 years before the new truck would cost less to own than the old truck. She dropped the subject :)

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can I put a set of 19.5 wheels on my 1988 F-250? I have a dually but used spacer to mount the extra wheel.
anyone BTDT?
Javier

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can I put a set of 19.5 wheels on my 1988 F-250? I have a dually but used spacer to mount the extra wheel.
anyone BTDT?
Javier
before you get carried away with the idea, do a search on the 19.5 wheels. there's mixed reviews on them.

back on topic.
i have a CPA who constantly badgers me on renewing my towing fleet. Only reason why I am looking into doing it is the kali CARB. yes, I can use the write-offs but the peace of mind when a broken truck limps home and the repairs can be done overnite without breaking the bank, that is priceless to me.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before you get carried away with the idea, do a search on the 19.5 wheels. there's mixed reviews on them.

back on topic.
i have a CPA who constantly badgers me on renewing my towing fleet. Only reason why I am looking into doing it is the kali CARB. yes, I can use the write-offs but the peace of mind when a broken truck limps home and the repairs can be done overnite without breaking the bank, that is priceless to me.

I dont use it the same way you do, but I know what you mean about how I can always manage to get it home and it can be fixed the next morning LOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my perspective, skewed tho it may be. I have been out of work over a year, my truck sits in the driveway ready to do whatever I ask of it, paid for. Only expense is insurance.
If I had a new truck I would have lost it by now so IDI's are cheaper. I rebuilt mine a few years ago bumper to bumper ,got about 12k in it. It still needs a few minor things ,but I have NO PAYMENT.

Oh and for those that cringe about pump prices, it is only about the cost of 3 or 4 PS injectors and you can have a Moose pump. I have a friend that is seriouslly looking at getting an IDI and having me refurb it, he puts about 2k every few months in his PS. His stage 2 injectors cause all kinds of hell.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Spent $4,950.00 to purchase Goldie, then dropped just about that same amount into restoring the body literally from the ground up and added a turbo in with that cost.

So I've got around 10k invested in it and it's paid in full. Best transportation investment I've made.;Sweet

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think that's bad you need to take the decimal from .05 and .10 and move it five places (i.e. $5000 and $10,000) and you will know what it is like to own a newer 6.0 PSD... :sly

I had an 04 Cummins common rail so I know all about it. Hence I no longer have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online