Idi to powerstroke

Thatwhite7tree

Reaction score
So here me out i have a 93 f350 7.3idi na that I love to drive. The problem is I also have a 99 f350 7.3 powerstroke setting in my shop that the motor and trans need a good home and don't worry the body is shot (i am a heavy equipment mechanic and it was one service truck that kept coming in for work has a new motor trans and complete fuel system but the boss was gonna auction it or scrap so I picked up for 1500) but do I sell the 99 and build my idi motor(type 4 cam, r&d turbo kit hotside with a 6.0 intercooler i have), built transmission the full nine yards or do I just put the rebuilt(less than 40,000 miles) powerstroke setup in the truck and go that route. I cant decide either way so I come here for some persuasion. Any input would be appreciated and yes I know i can never make the power out of an idi but there is just something about these old motors and that it will be a lot of work but I work on diesel equipment for 12+ hrs a day and have acces to a lift.
thanks,

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
That is definitely debatable. If it was me I would go a different direction. I would find a nice donor power stroke truck (Blown engine, nice body and cab.) for your engine and trans. Swap your engine/trans into that. Pull hard to get/wear items off the scrap body as spares. I would use the power stroke as my daily driver and the IDI as my back up truck.

Why? The power stroke is just more powerful as it is turbo, electronic injected, etc. It also commands a better resale. Dumping a bunch of money into a IDI could mean you lose money when you sell it down the road.

If you put it in the IDI you have to bring the computer, wiring, and such and likely cut here and weld there, etc. So now repairs are potentially going to be more complex.

Having both trucks leaves you with the best of both worlds. Some extra HP for towing when you want it and a daily driver that can do 80mph down the road. When you have the want to go old school you have the IDI. When you want/need to do some work on your truck, you have another to tow it and to drive till you fix the other.

Many potential outcomes to ponder.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 99 is a great 7.3 powerstroke, but keep in mind that the swap to an OBS will be challenging as the 99 vehicle harness is very different from the OBS you want to put it in.

Good luck whichever way you go.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Not to mention that the '99+ 7.3 PSD's use an electric fuel pump in the tank so you won't be able to use your current fuel tank set up. You may be able to use a high end aftermarket electric pump like a Holley black, but than again, it may not work. Those trucks also use one fuel tank so there's no selector valve or wiring for one so you'd be best off to swap in a Bronco tank, in my opinion. Personally, I'd build up the IDI engine. I prefer them over the PSD plus I think it's cool to have an underrated engine make people scratch their heads when they see it pulling heavy loads. Ask Dane Rickford about that one.

Thatwhite7tree

Reaction score
Thats what I like about the idi @IDIBRONCO u should see the guys faces at the shop when I pull a trailer with my idi that there brand new alumiduty just got put in the shop for, they don't go all that fast but they will pull.

Thatwhite7tree

Reaction score
The money and fabrication to switch every thing over will not be that hard and I am not worried about the money as I plan on not ever selling this truck.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that the '99+ 7.3 PSD's use an electric fuel pump in the tank so you won't be able to use your current fuel tank set up.

It’s mounted on the frame rail under the drivers foot. No problem using the factory tank setup

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from a Powerstroke to an IDI. No regrets. Simpler is better. I pulled about 14k lbs this past weekend on a 2.5 hour run with no problems.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I went from a Powerstroke to an IDI. No regrets. Simpler is better. I pulled about 14k lbs this past weekend on a 2.5 hour run with no problems.
Did you have to use the psd instrument cluster? I have been told many times that the cluster is needed to run..........I havent really researched it, but cant understand even if it were needed, how there couldnt be a way around it.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have to use the psd instrument cluster? I have been told many times that the cluster is needed to run..........I havent really researched it, but cant understand even if it were needed, how there couldnt be a way around it.
I guess I should have worded that differently. I sold the Powerstroke truck and bought the IDI's.
I would say either cluster would work. A few wiring changes might be needed. A wiring diagram, some solder, and heat shrink. It would be easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7