idi prechambers needed

shocktrooper

Reaction score
Hi guys! New to the site but have been on here looking for answers. I am looking for prechambers for my IDI. Its an 85 f250 with the 6.9. People have told me the 7.3 are still available but I can seam to find any. Dose anybody know where I could find some? Thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Contact Riotwarrior. He has plenty of them. I recall there being 3 different kinds of cups made but it really is not a problem using a set of 7.3 cups in 6.9 heads. All cups fit any idi head because they are drilled the same. In fact many parts will fit both engines. the crank, cam and rods are the same till you talk about the turbo 7.3 factory engines.

shocktrooper

Reaction score
4 have pretty good cracks and most of the others are starting. Would rather replace them all while I'm in there.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So why is it we have never heard of anyone welding up a crack in a precup.:dunnocookoo:angel: I can run a tig machine very well and I was doing inconel tig for many years when I was working on steam turbine equipment. We cut out damaged stationary blading. Made up a form from copper plate. then set that under the blade and made new blades. The power sanding and filing was really difficult. We maintained the same blade profile too. Grinding out the crack. Checking it with dye penetrant or fluorescent dye to tell you the crack is gone is really easy too. With the correct burrs and air or electric die grinders its possible. I think before this is attempted we need to have a metallurgical test done of the precup to insure its really inconel. Then a good tig machine and some inconel rod and its done.

shocktrooper

Reaction score
You have a very good point! My buddy and I where talking about that. I can weld but not that well. We should figure out if it's possible so we can save out pre cups. Anybody have the equipment to try?

shocktrooper

Reaction score
Hey I just took my valves out and on both heads on 3-6 intake I have a crack along the seats and also onto the heads. So I'm probably going to need some new heads unless that happens with these engines and is not a problem. I'll see if I can find anything else out!

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks, I got a set of new pre chambers from Diesel Cast welding 115.00 they do sell off shore heads. If you call them deal with the store in MN. The Oregon store didn't want to deal with me for just the chambers.

shocktrooper

Reaction score
So I picked up a nice set of 6.3 heads. I'm thinking about putting those on my truck. If have to shim the head studs I got so they work and punch out those cooling plus on the heads but I think it might work. What are your guy see thoughts? And only difference between head gaskets is those cooling passages. No fire ring difference.