IDI Injector replacement

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done a full write up of the replacement procedure for the injectors? I want to do the ones in my 6.9 and the 7.3 I got last night. I've been surfing the forum but haven't found anything yet. And is there one for the glow plugs? The 7.3 system isn't working right now.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that the glow plugs are shot. But I need to diagnose the system. The guy I bought it from was using ether to start it. And I am not an ether fan. Thankfully he only used a tiny amount and not a huge shot like most people.

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll post a picture of what I'm working with. It also needs some rewiring, most people don't shall we say have a lot of skill in that department......

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Helpful hint: If you're going to replace the injectors and glow plugs, replace the glow plugs while the injectors are out. That way you could move the injector lines slightly if (where) they are in the way. I like to use a 1/4" drive ratchet, swivel, and about a 6" to 8" extension. That makes it easier to get in to them especially when the injector lines are attached to the injectors. You'll also need a 3/8" deep socket for this.

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea. This is actually my biggest work truck so down time in the future will get expensive.

gandalf

Reaction score
Every now and again people will pull out half an injector. The bottom half stays in the hole. It's not time to panic, though, there is a set method to remove that bottom half. If you have that problem don't immediately do something drastic. Post and ask. It can be gotten out without any damage being done.

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every now and again people will pull out half an injector. The bottom half stays in the hole. It's not time to panic, though, there is a set method to remove that bottom half. If you have that problem don't immediately do something drastic. Post and ask. It can be gotten out without any damage being done.
So don't break out the torch and cut it lol?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So don't break out the torch and cut it lol?
LOL! No that would just send slag down into your precup and then on into your cylinder where it wouldn't do the piston any favors. Good thing you were just kidding.

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! No that would just send slag down into your precup and then on into your cylinder where it wouldn't do the piston any favors. Good thing you were just kidding.
Lol. I sadly know a few that would do that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70