Removing Your IDI Injectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.9 and 7.3 IDI injectors are known to be extremely robust and simple designs; however, sometimes removal of these injectors can be quite tricky. Difficult removal is generally caused by old leaking copper washers that sit under the injector in the injector bore. These washers are meant to seal combustion gasses off from the injector bore, but when they leak they will deposit carbon around the injector, making it very difficult to remove.

Step 1 Remove hardlines where they connect to the tops of the injectors and remove your return lines.
You must be registered for see images attach

Step 2 (optional) Remove hardlines where they connect to IP for additional room

Step 3 Spray all 8 injector's bases with a penetrating lubricant and remove injectors with 1" wrench or socket

Step 4 Inspect injectors to see if the copper washer stayed on the injector body or in the bore (if in injector bore, remove with either a pick or with flat head screw driver

Step 5 Clean injector bores thoroughly, a wire brush meant for 12 gauge shotguns works perfect, you will need several. Place a dab of grease at the bottom of the bore to catch any carbon from falling into the precup or remove glow plugs and blow compressed air through the glow plug bore to remove any contaminants that are broken free. Hopefully you don't have to start with this:

To reinstall original injectors or rebuilt units, first place new copper washers at the bases of the injectors and apply a coating of antisieze compound to the injector threads and perform steps 1-3 in reverse.

*If you are using your freshly removed injectors for cores then do your injector rebuilder a favor and clean them up nicely, wire wheel and brake clean works wonders and your injector rebuilder will love you a little more.

If your injectors fail to come out:
Don't fret.

A few different things can happen, either the injector will come to the top of its threads and no longer thread out but remains stuck in the bore or the injector will come apart.

If the injector stops threading in or out but seems like the threads are stripped this is easily remedied:
Start by applying a liberal amount of penetrating lubricant to the injector threads. Next try to wiggle the injector by placing a deep well socket over it with an extension to use for leverage. Next try to pull the injector out by hand, if it still won't come out, try and use a 15/16 wrench as a lever to pull the injector out of the bore. Next use a impact to spin the injector forward and reverse in ten second intervals either until the entire injector comes loose or the top body of the injector comes loose.

If the body of the injector separates and the bottom half of the injector remains in the bore then once again do not fret! Take a spare injector or the top half of the injector that came out and grind the threads off of it like this:

Next apply some locktite to the bottom threads and screw the top half of the injector back into the part still in the bore careful not to cross thread it. Take your impact and rotate the injector clockwise but since there will be no threads pulling the injector into the bore, it should break the bottom half of your injector body free.

If these methods don't immediately work, apply a penetrating lubricant and allow it set overnight.

Tool I made to lever the injectors out of their bores:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting side note, when cleaning injectors you may find a place on the injector body where a ford dealership marked the number of injectors replaced and the mileage of the vehicle at the time of the repair, in this case all eight were replaced at 117k miles.

(Edit Sept. 2018)
Recently I have been using these injector pliers for pulling stubborn injectors and they work very well. I found them on eBay for around $12 and are worth every penny:

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really nice writeup and the pics clearly show the how too. In my years on this forum I have seen some injectors with no copper gacket and some with 2 copper gaskets. There was a member that could not remove a stuck copper gasket so he tried the handle end of a file. Well that broke off stuck in the head. Now I was "helping" this guy and he asked if the file was a good or bad idea. Told him DO NOT TRY THAT.. And the reason why. So it happens anyway. Now he wants to drill a small hole in the gasket and head surface to release the tension on the gasket and the now stuck file end.. Once again I tell him not a good idea.. Sure nuff he does this anyway. Broke off the drill bit in the head. I did my best to help.Paid no attention so I "walked away" never to help or hear from him again. That was the most abnormal relationship I have EVER had on this forum. There was no getting thru to that guy. I learned a lot. Offer help but.. Explain what will happen if a person does what will never work.So they do it their way and its worse... WALK AWAY.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This brush works really good for cleaning the injectors bores. Snap On MB73A

Excellent write-up! Should go to the Tech Articles.

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gary, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink... I actually just did this job on one of my own trucks and was surprised there wasn't a tech article on removing injectors so I searched the site and wrote this up, most of the information in this write up I found in old threads that you had made helping others out :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88