IDI in Half Ton: MPG & Suspension

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been searching for some answers and its really hard to find them.

I have a bronco that I am doing a diesel swap in.

Can a half ton suspension handle a 6.9 or 7.3?

The 6.9L is 860lbs Dry (1000lbs w/ accessories)

The 302 Gas is 412lbs Dry that came out of the Bronco.

I know Monroe has shocks that add 1000lbs to ride capicity. I can put them up front. Also people put plows on 1/2 trucks. How much do plows weigh, I a plow would add more than a diesel would.

What MPG (Miles Per Gallon) is anyone getting with their Bronco IDI or something similar?

I am doing this swap for better fuel milage. I cant keep driving my Crew Cab's everyday getting under 20 mpg. I have to make sure this swap is worth it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Pino2234,

Yes to can it handle it, and as for MPG... Mel's son (Agnem) has a 94 F-150 Stepside with an IDI in it and he got almost 30 MPG on a trip to a rally a couple of years ago. Mel also has an IDI Bronco. Do a search on user Agnem, and use the words Moosestang (Bronco) and Night Moose (F-150).... there are several threads on here about those trucks.... there are a few other IDI Broncos on her also. One thing to remember, a Ford Pickup could be ordered with a 460 which is almost as big and heavy as an IDI... just a couple hundred pounds.....

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 79 F150 had a 460 init,but the4 front suspension was pertty broke down is short order. I know some 150s may have come with a 460 so i would look from 460 front springs at a minimum.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Throw some F-250 2wd springs up front and call it a day. It'll handle the weight, not sure about the torque if u plan to hop it up with a turbo and all.

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pino2234,

Yes to can it handle it, and as for MPG... Mel's son (Agnem) has a 94 F-150 Stepside with an IDI in it and he got almost 30 MPG on a trip to a rally a couple of years ago. Mel also has an IDI Bronco. ................ One thing to remember, a Ford Pickup could be ordered with a 460 which is almost as big and heavy as an IDI... just a couple hundred pounds.....

I saw some of Mels posts but didnt really see anything about drivetrain. I thought I read that he converted to an 8 lug and I just saw a post that the Night Moose got 21 MPG. I didnt know he got up to almost 30.

The 460 is 650lbs dry and 700lbs with accessories.

Throw some F-250 2wd springs up front and call it a day. It'll handle the weight, not sure about the torque if u plan to hop it up with a turbo and all.

I would rather stay with the coil springs that come with it and I thought the main concern would be the 5 lug. What would be the weak link?

My bronco is an 87 so it is the Dana 44 TTB with coil springs.

So can these coil springs and Dana 44 hold up. I want to keep the 1/2 drivetrain so I can go to 3.08 rears.

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapping an IDI into my F100 has crossed my mind quite a few times, but then again not everyone has engines sitting in their back yard.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what you want to use it for. A high speed highway demon used for fuel mileage, sure the frame and the drivetrain from a bronco or f150 will hold up. Are you planning on revving the diesel up and throwing it in gear or dropping the clutch to burn some rubber? Then no, it will not hold up.

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F-250 2wds were coil sprung...

Yea :thumbsup: my 85' F350 2WD had coil springs before I converted it to 4x4

Swapping an IDI into my F100 has crossed my mind quite a few times, but then again not everyone has engines sitting in their back yard.

:rotflmao I have 3. 2 Are messed up though. The 3rd one is the one I want to swap in. I got it running on the ground with 2 batteries and a milk jug of diesel.

It all depends on what you want to use it for. A high speed highway demon used for fuel mileage, sure the frame and the drivetrain from a bronco or f150 will hold up. Are you planning on revving the diesel up and throwing it in gear or dropping the clutch to burn some rubber? Then no, it will not hold up.

I want a "high speed highway demon used for fuel mileage" but I also dont want to baby it. Also you said it wont hold up, what is the weak link? What will not hold up and break?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've thought about a high mileage Bronco many times: if you REALLY want mileage: gut the front axle, toss the transfer case, and go with a 2WD ZF5 speed and the most freeway geared rear axle ratio you can find and it will look and sit right, but you can sneer at the fuel pumps ;p as you drive by them with the giant rear fuel tank.

I know: you want 4 wheel drive because it's cool :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be that scared of leaving the F150 suspension under it so long as you go through it with good parts, like heavier springs and getting the camber within spec.

Good luck, cool project, get er dun ;Sweet

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
doing this swap in my f-150 myself i will tell you that the 1/2 ton springs will not hold the extra weight very well, you need to find an f-350 -450 front coil springs and it will level out the truck and hold the weight and i am also running the d44 ttb and a 8.8 rear, i will be installing ladder bars for wheel hop and torque load, i am running a zf5 and the yoke on the zf uses a bit bigger ujoint than the 8.8 so i am having a 2 different driveshafts made into one, if you need any other help just ask

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want a "high speed highway demon used for fuel mileage" but I also dont want to baby it. Also you said it wont hold up, what is the weak link? What will not hold up and break?

Smaller u-joints, smaller rearend gears and axles. Any one of them will let go if you ask for everything the diesel has, and the truck is up against something that doesn't want to move easily.

If the factory could have saved a few dollars and used the smaller drivetrain with the larger engines, I am sure they would have. If you are going to build this vehicle with this combo of parts, there will be compromises you will have to make.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I am sure the 8.8 and everything else will hold up just fine. Ya got to remember the the 8.8 was put behind a 240HP/340tq lightning 351

The front suspension is another story. Take Trappers advice and find some heavier coils

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
The front axle itself should be ok, as it was the same basic axle used in some F-250s. Just dont go hammering the nuts off it and everything will live a happy life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online