i think its done

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did all the test and the block faild with fling colors.its trash #1 #5 #6 all have holes.
picked up new block today will yank my swiss block out friday. thanks all that helped

I would have bet it was/is cavitation. Usually it's #6-7-8, mine was #6 & 8, the valve cover was filled with that waxie oil.

braboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hoped that was not the my trouble but what you going to do. going with all new parts.
going to take my time and do this one right. who is Russ and what cam does he have?
getting the old swiss block out to day. so you all have a good day

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd still sleeve the bare block especially those cylinders Oldbull mentioned if the $$ was there. Typ4 is Russ and he offers a reground cam that works to better take advantage of the turbo down low. Since you have to build a new block, heck I'd do a few things but it's easy to spend somebody else's money.

braboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much for his cams? and is there a phone# for him. no money for sleeves mic the block it is still stock bore. the #s indicate that it is a IH big truck engine or was.but will have it check when it gos to the shop

braboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got it apart the swiss block is not so swiss its broke #3,4 have bin broke befor it was put back to gether.It was sleeved and thats where it is leeking from how ever did this needs to be shot.you can where the coolint was gitting in the oil will post pic win i can get 20 year old dotter to show me how.have pic of all the work to date

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the other bad thing about sleeving, not all machinists are competent to do it right. Icanfixall could tell you about how it should be done, which involves stepping the bore so that the sleeve can't move and much more. If I tried to tell you, I'd just be regurgitating what I read. Glad you found the cause. Make sure the new block isn't the same way before you start buying parts.

braboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had the mics out.the new block is just that new.well you know will hone and clean. just getting new rings n baerings + gasgets . will have one head at shop for freezzzz plugs.

braboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just what i though stumped you all with that one. is there a place to get a injector tester?been looking .cant find one

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Good luck. If you are near KC, I would let you borrow mine, but I will not come off of it. You can take them to certain places and have them popped. Most Ford stealerhips do not have the stuff to do it here that I know of.

SWS

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Braboy,
If you come down I75 to Gainesville and get off at the Williston Rd exit (382) A&D Sales and Service will test them for you. He charges $4 per injector usually though sometimes he'll go easy on you, especially if you buy something else from him. He's a good guy but has no competition in Gainesville, so he charges what he wants. Very knowledgeable about Stanadyne and CAV fuel systems no doubt. His name is David, and he's only there working hours M-F. He is in this industrial park just down SW 34th street from the interstate. You could also check with some Stanadyne shops in Jacksonville if that's easier for you. I've dealt with "Diesel Powerhouse" in Callahan. Good guys, but I don't know what they charge for pop testing injectors. PM me or more info.

braboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did enty one watch the video in post #53? can we modify the pre burner cups to make it more direct injction? the angle of the injctior will line up with the hole an spray into the cyinder or will that be a problem