i think its done

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched the youtube. Like I said above. Waxy substance means coolant mixing with oil.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
I am thinking oil cooler orings or that rocker cover breather is getting blasted with water off the tire. Does'nt it rain alot down there?

Hey, BTW, I like your truck. ;Sweet

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Yeah, that is def not just condensation. You should take it and see if puttin pressure on the cyl will flow back into the system (as was posted in the link). Wish I was close enough to help.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I would still check the way that oldbull posted just to see that when you put it back together that you do not have the same problem because the bundle is leaking. Like I said, good money after bad makes people say bad things about goood vehicles.

SWS

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I think he means the oil cooler could be leaking causing the water in the oil. He was suggesting that you pressurize the cooling system to make sure where the water is leaking at before spending the money on the replacement block.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SWS means the oil cooler orings (common) or a crack in the bundle (rare). You definietly have some water in the oil in your vent tubes, but as you say I agree that the oil in the crankcase looks good. To make sure you're actually getting coolant in the oil you should get an oil sample sent off. Caterpillar (Ring Power here in Gainesville or over in Jax) does that for a reasonable fee. The only problem is sometimes they drag their feet on it. It might be that the crankcase is full of coolant only it's in too small of a concentration to see it. There are some good leakdown tests for cavitation and maybe Oldbul88 already posted those instructions, that's a little over my head but I believe you could easily do that with all the work you've done. Bottom line I'd have to be sure I was getting coolant in the oil to think about a swap. Also I'd worry a little bit about buying that used block because you might have the same problem you have now based on your description. Coolant in the oil unless it's in trace amounts is usually a head gasket or cavitation. The oil system is under much more pressure most of the time than the cooling system. If you do buy that other 7.3 block I'd probably rebuild it and at least sleeve the most susceptible cylinders cavitation wise if cost is an issue, and if not sleeve all 8. Needs to be a machinist that knows what he's doing thouh. Dry sleeves are in another league from boring a 350 Chevy. You've got to know your stuff very well.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Yeah, I was making a post on the oil bundle. I just dont want to see you spend all that time and money on something that is an easier fix. Like this, I saw a guy replace an engine on a crown vic because it was bellowing smoke. After he got the new one in, it did the same thing. Two injectors were stuck open washing down the walls (probably still needed an engine but we will never know). If you crack the oil drain and no water comes out, it is probably the cavatation. Only slight right now and the ton of pressure in the cyl is causing the hole to open up and send coolant past when the piston is on the way down. Do any of the GPs look green (or whatever color a-freeze you are using)?

SWS

braboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did all the test and the block faild with fling colors.its trash #1 #5 #6 all have holes.
picked up new block today will yank my swiss block out friday. thanks all that helped

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and at least test the unknown new block, compression and for cavitation. I'm actually pretty lazy and don't like to do these big jobs more than once. Sorry to hear it wasn't something simple.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Yeah, that is a pretty sweet deal. You should be good to go for just under a grand with some new parts. I would get in touch with Russ and get one of the cams since you will be into it that far. No reason NOT to spend the extra money for more low power.

SWS