I think I got a problem here

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Have the amp draw of the starter checked, it sounds like starter to me. Got the turbo on yet??

Hopefully it isnt the starter. I'll put on new cables, and if that doesnt do it, I'll buy a new starter for it.

And no I dont have the turbo on yet, I'm going to order gauges and exhaust tubing this weekend. I cant do it next weekend, cause of the Octoberfest in Mt. Angel is going on, and I gotta be there ;Sweet .

7.3shrk

I'll agree with the starter - mine did the exact same thing until I went out there one day - it would not turn over. I threw batteries at it, and after dropping good money for them - still no start. I replaced the starter and it still goes strong.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Here's a good tip when it comes to cables....If you get an issue like this try putting your hands on the cables at the terminals or any place you see corrosion....A loose clamp or bad spot will get hot at that point if you crank it a few times....Try it - it works.....Is it rolling over at the normal speed?....I think a low fuel level could be part of it as well, especially when it's hot.

aaklingler

Reaction score
Do your batteries take a good pull when you put a charger on them? If they do it could be your alternator or something in the charging system. I would replace that cable first though.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Do your batteries take a good pull when you put a charger on them? If they do it could be your alternator or something in the charging system. I would replace that cable first though.

I dont know, I've never had a charger on these batteries.

It seems to get worse as the day goes on. In the morning it turns over as usual. But once I leave school for lunch it turns over a little slower, and it wont fire of the first revolution. Then when I leave school to head home, it is a little slower then when I left for lunch, and it will fire on like the 3rd or 4th revolution.

And I wasnt totally out of fuel, I had about 2 gallons left in my front tank, but that wouldnt have gotten me home and back to school so I stopped off for diesel.

SKimballC

Reaction score
You can get your starter tested at NAPA or the like before you go and throw money at a new one. Of course, you have to pull it off the truck, but the last time I bought a starter it cost me $150 bucks, and I can have the starter off in about 10 minutes, so...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You can get your starter tested at NAPA or the like before you go and throw money at a new one. Of course, you have to pull it off the truck, but the last time I bought a starter it cost me $150 bucks, and I can have the starter off in about 10 minutes, so...

Gotta agree with Shane...have it tested, nothing but time.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it isnt the starter. I'll put on new cables, and if that doesnt do it, I'll buy a new starter for it.

And no I dont have the turbo on yet, I'm going to order gauges and exhaust tubing this weekend. I cant do it next weekend, cause of the Octoberfest in Mt. Angel is going on, and I gotta be there ;Sweet .
Me and the wife will be there thursday night beer and sausage , what more could a person ask for.:D

FordGuy100

Reaction score

Well dang man, when are you going to get some time off so you can head on down here and help me with a starter removal/turbo install :D .

Me and the wife will be there thursday night beer and sausage , what more could a person ask for.:D

Yup, I might actually work a both there for the local fire department. For lunch I'm gonna take a couple of buddies, cause as of tommorow I will finally be able to drive around people...."legally" :D . So were gonna get out of school and head over there for some sausages and what not. I clocked it today and it took me 15 minutes round trip to get to my truck drive into Mt. Angel and back, so I think we can make it on our half hour lunch LOL , if not then well be headed off to lunch detention :puke: .

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you take the negative cables off before you loosen up that starter. yaric008 burnt himself pretty good with that shortcut a few years ago. There isn't a lot of room up there and it would be easy to complete that circuit.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Well dang man, when are you going to get some time off so you can head on down here and help me with a starter removal/turbo install :D ..

Soon, or at least I hope soon. I have been no-sleep busy moving and getting this house together, and am trying to get a trip to Bend together this weekend with some buds and some girls, so as you can imagine, that is my first priority. I have certainly earned a weekend of playtime. Maybe the following weekend, which I believe is the 22nd, I should be free if you want to make some turbo magic happen. You got your parts together? I am down in Southeast Portland now, so you ain't too far away.

Make sure you take the negative cables off before you loosen up that starter. yaric008 burnt himself pretty good with that shortcut a few years ago. There isn't a lot of room up there and it would be easy to complete that circuit.

Yeah, I agree with JD. Don't be a numbskull and touch the electrical system without disconnecting the batteries. It sorta hurts. :eek:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I always use Noalox on the cable ends. It's a conductive grease made for electric panels. the stuff never dries out,keeps perfect conections. I work it into the bare cable before crimping ends on when making up new cables and never get the usual corrosion in the cable strands.

Definitely get the largest diameter cable you can get. I made a set of 3/0 cables for mine ;Sweet

Another problem may be happening here too. Are you making a whole lot of short trips and turning the engine off at each stop? Remembering typical social activities at that stage of life, I figure that probably applies :D
If so, you're batteries may not be getting a chance to get fully recharged, and it would act exactly as you describe with the starts taking longer throughout the day.
Diesels draw a lot of juice to crank the engine over and the glow plugs have a pretty hefty appetite as well. Little quick stops like for fueling, might want to leave it running so your batteries have a chance to recover ( you don't have to shut a diesel off at the pumps, that's for spark ignition engines ).

If you are doing a bunch of short hops, you may want to put the thing on a trickle charger once every couple of weeks to top the batteries off.

---------Robert

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I coat my terminals with wheel bearing grease. If the air can't get to them, there will be no corrosion.

Note that he says, "Wheel bearing grease". Some people use chasis grease for this purpose. The problem with chasis grease is that in hot weather, the grease can liquify ( melt) and the then run down, inside the connection, and actually prevent good electrical contact.