I think I got a problem here

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think I got a problem here, AKA I need help

Well I have been driving my truck to school these past two days and all has been well (ahhh, good ol' school again :rolleyes: ). But it seems like I need to do the wheel bearings again, cause I think I might have not done it right LOL , oh well it should only take a weekend this time. That is to the least of my worries right know. So today at school, when I went to leave for lunch, my truck didnt start up on the first rotation like it usually does, more like on the second rotation and it seemed to be turning over a little slower than normal. I just figured I had left the radio on or something. So I get back in my truck to drive back to school from TNT (local gas station, its were all my friends hang out at lunch, gotta love them gas station burritos LOL ), and this time when I got to start it it takes about 2 revolutions and it fires off and I drive back to school. Then (dang this story is dragging on, can we just get to the point :D ) when I go to leave school to head home, it takes like 3 revolutions and its turning over a little slower than what it took to fire it up on 2 revolutions. So I notice I'm outta diesel, so I stop and fill up the tanks (whew 17.3 mpg, not to bad, although my all-time record is 19.6 mpg). They get topped off I and go to leave and I wait for the glow plug light to go off and turn the key to start my truck. Whats this, why is it turning over so slow? Seriously it took like 6 revolutions to start up, and they were slow revolutions. So what the heck is going on here guys? I do know that my positive side battery cable that runs down to the starter is a little corroded (the plastic is split open maybe about a half inch, and you can see the wires, err the corrosion fuzzy crap on the wiring).

Last edited:

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I'd say, a little trick my battery guy told me was when you check the oil just let a drop or two from the stick drop on the terminals or wire and you will not see any corrosion again (hint it works better if you clean it up first) I've been doing this for 15+ years and it works!;Sweet

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll second the cables being the cause. My turbo-ed truck was getting to where it needed about a 1/3 to 1/2 second shot of ether to fire up the first time I would try to start it from dead cold most of the time.

The clamp on the positive battery cable for the PS battery was in bad shape, so I replaced the whole cable with a good spare I had laying around. In the process I cleaned all the battery terminals and re-tightened the clamps and then put a good charge on the batteries.

The high resistance of the poor connections were keeping the starter from cranking it over fast enough to start up. Extended/repeated cranking also drew the batteries down and with the poor connections it wasn't charging all the way back up.

After the cleaning/replacing/charging session - which took me all of about an hour - she's fired right up every time since.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Okay, I guess I will order a new battery cable. The batteries terminals should be good, I put in new batteries about 6 months ago.

Thanks for the help guys ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to pull and have your starter tested as well. I agree that the corroded cable needs to be replaced (and, may as well do 'em all), but this can also be a symptom of a failing starter...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I coat my terminals with wheel bearing grease. If the air can't get to them, there will be no corrosion.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Make sure your cables are clean to start with. What you describe sounds exactly like how mine was acting, cleaning up the cables got me a bit more time. End result for me was new brushs in the starter. Not a hard job to do, I think with new bearings and brushs the parts were around the $20 mark.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I coat my terminals with wheel bearing grease. If the air can't get to them, there will be no corrosion.

Well when I worked at Okanagan Speed and Equipment back in the 80's, they had this stuff (elephant snot) AKA Permatex's Aviation Form a Gasket, that we would use once we cleaned the terminals and posts off.

SEE HERE http://performanceflatfour.com/images/Permatex 3H.JPG

We put this stuff on and it never totally hardens but as Mel said it keeps out the air. It does become more solid over time, allows good contact for boosting, and is not messy like grease or oil can be at times.

I've done this for over 20 years and find it to be an excellent procedure to do to help if not eliminate corrosion.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have the amp draw of the starter checked, it sounds like starter to me. Got the turbo on yet??

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Cables probably the cause, the company listed is great and instead of using grease, use a battery terminal coating - in a little spray can and eventually dries. It is like gorilla snot when went and always stats a little gewy, but it is great stuff. Permatex makes it as well.