I need Help :(

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Okay so I have my engine out..... What is all the white circular build up on the intake sides of the pistons? I feel that CYL NR 2 is where my head gaskets failure was. This engine was replaced in 2000 and was rebuilt by International. It looks to be bored over .030" How can I check from cavitation? What do you think? I will get some pics of the heads when I get home and post them to this thread and my build thread. Pics of my cylinders are on PAGE 3 of the following thread. Thanks!

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?71319-My-88-F250-Build-Thread/page3

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those white circles, do they all line up with the intake valves?
did you rotate each piston to the bottom, and check every square inch of the cylinder walls?

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah, all those circles line up with the Intake valves. I did a once over of all the cylinders and didn't really see anything. Would I even be able to see the cavitation with no water in the system?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
altho i have no experience with cavitation, i have read what it is, and what it does.
it eats cylinder walls. like rust. there will be no mistaking it. if your cylinder walls are all nice, you do not have this issue.
read through your other posts, someone said exactly where they had cavi problems on 4 engines.
i believe they said 1/2 way up the cylinder wall.
take pictures of all 8 cylinders with the piston at bottom dead center.
do the cylinders still have machining marks? usually called hone marks.
when an engine is bored, they open the cylinders to the size of the pistions, then use a hone to give the cylinders a fine tune.
honing creates visable lines up and down the cylinder, usually looks like a bunch of X patterns.

that white mark makes me think that someone was experimenting with fuels.
as there all the same pattern around the intake valve.
clean them up! if they go away, then its certainly somthing with the fuel, maybe timing too advanced?
creating hot spots? i dunno.
bottom line, is if it has not ate away at the pistons, its nothing to be too concerned about.
white valves in gassers indicate a lean condition.
i dont know what causes this in a diesel.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I'll get some more pics tomorrow. What is the best way to clean up the block surface? I don't wanna use a gasket scrapper cause I don't wanna scratch the surface at all.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i use a 1" gasket scraper. sharpened with a stone, razor edge like. its cast iron, you will have to really try to gouge it.
scrape it off by hand, dont use a hammer.
if you decide to use a wire wheel, make sure you dont get any of that crud in your lifters.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I have this attachment that goes on my die grinder and its really soft, use it all the time to remove old gasket material, think that will be okay if I covered vital things. I just want my truck to last me 100,000 more miles because by then I will have my IDI Monster completed.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it a plastic wheel with nipples on it? yup, they work great, they take forever tho.
ive done headgaskets on many gassers, i just scrape it off with the gasket scraper, and clean with scotch brite.
after its clean, i run a flat sharpening stone on the deck to make sure there are no burs and its flat.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Okay cool, I should be good with that then. I think one night this week I will clean up the block, pull the oil pan and inspect the block to the best of my ability. I just hope someone knows what them white circles are... You don't think it's moisture do you? The day I pulled my truck into the shed it was raining and I started it, ran long enough to move into the shed, maybe it didn't get hot and that is the result of moisture being flashed to steam and not burned off all the way? I am going to retard my timing just hair, seemed to run great though.... Maybe back it down half a flat as well. Right now I want a good running truck to get that smile back on my face that will last me a while. :)

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
could be. have you tried to wipe it off?

It's hard and crusty, almost like a calcium build-up on a facet or something, didn't try to take it off though.... I haven't cleaned anything up yet because I wanted to know what others thought, I guess at this point it doesn't matter because I have the pictures. I will clean the deck and try to clean up the pistons the best I can. If that stuff comes off fairly easy than I'm not gonna worry about it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Best idea for cleaning heads or blocks of the gasket is a single edge razor. Then rub by hand with a scotch brite pad. Even the dish washing types will work. Never ever run a pad on a grinder. Scotch brite tales off metal. You will ruin the surface and cause head gaskets blows if you use a power tool and scotch brite. Finally use some brakeclean because it wont leave a film. Don't wipe it off either. Spray it clean several times. Be sure to use a BOTTOMING tap to clean out the head bolt threads all the way to the bottom.
Also seeing your removing the oil pan do not use a cork or rubber gasket. Factory oem was just RTV for a gasket and it works. Ask around what type/