I Just Love It Over Here

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I was "reading whats happening "over there" and read a member had some noise in his motor. He drove it for about 15 minutes and brought it home and parked it. Turns out his brother had started to change oil for him and didn't have any oil to put back in. So he left it knowing he would "do it tomorrow". Refilled it finally with oil and all is well.......:dunno Another member swamped his truck and it drank some water. Got it running but the motor made a ticking sound. Drove it that way for a YEAR.... Finally took it apart and found a broken piston and a badly bent rod...... Who was it that said these motors were just throw away motors and not worth rebuilding.... I'd like to spit sum Beechnut in his eye...:D

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
International knew what was going on, show me another motor that can go 10,000 hours at full power before they let go. (i'm pretty sure it was 10,000 i read it in diesel power with a 4 page tribute to the 6.9),i've seen gas internationals take a drink and start knockin, once they clear themselves out they come outta it with no issues. i've gotten several junkyard IH gassers that the history was unknown, little fresh gas and a good batt. they's start (first crank everytime) and drive themselves on the trailer. with their bulletproof gas motors it was a given the diesel would be indistructible. ;Sweet LOL :hail

-Jon

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They did their homework when they designed these things.

Marq
____________________________________________1990 Ford F-250 4X4:
7.3 IDI with 120K on the clock:
ATS Turbo with waste gate:
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no **** on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just look at the amount of "normal" abuse our members seem to come up with. High EGT's with no pyro, cracked heads, caviation, bent rods, leaky oil coolers, you name it. The main problem seems to be getting it started. LOL Once it's running, it pretty much keeps doing so regardless of the sounds it makes, until a piston finally sucumbs and comes up with an exit strategy. LOL

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yep, they really are good engines they always get You where You're going sooner or later but they do. I have experienced this Myself.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.5 turbos certainly can't run full power. The only time we ever worked my dad's GMC was when I ended up having to do a head gasket job on it. All it took was a 5 min climb up a small mountain pass loaded with 6000lb of glass and another 3000 worth of trailer behind. Never worked it that hard before or since then. My 6.9 does most of the long hauling these days.

Maybe the only problem with the 6.9 is they don't know when to quit. I've seen some seriously beat up trucks that are literally falling apart and the engine leaks all over the place, but it still pulls with the same dedication as the day it was made. Its definitely an engine that will more often than not out last the truck its installed in. I think a lot of credit should go to the prechamber design and simple fuel injection system as well which is far less sensitive than direct injection.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I read the official history, and what all goes into these engines, it's no wonder they take the abuse, and with care can go 500k miles. I have towed other peoples RV in trade for parts, because their vehicle can do what mine does over a long haul. I tow RV's from Boise, to northern Idaho, over some pretty insane summets. I just hit 55, put her in cruise control, and away I go; flats, hills, summits, . . . it don't matter, and I get good mph while doing it.
Block: 4 bolt nodular iron, increased bulkhead thickness at the cam bore from .62, to 1.12 to reduce deflection in the bores. Five (5) bolt per cylinder, inwhich the head bolts are tied directly to the main bearing bulkhead through the outer water jacket walls, again to minimize cylinder bore distortion. Priority main bearing oiling, roller lifter, positive displacement geardriven garator oil pump (pump is like the oil pump on a auto trans.).
Rotation assembly:
The crankshaft is forged from 15B28h steel and quench and tempered to a minimum hardness of 217 Brinell hardness number (BHN). The five (5) mains, and four (4) pin journals surfaces are induction hardened to Rockwell hardness (RC) 50-55, etc.
Rods: Rod and cap are forged from alloy steel as one part and cut into two pieces in the machining process. Forging is heat treated to obtain a surgace hardness of Rc (27-33). The rough forging is shot peened to provide a margin against flaws as well as reduce residual stresses. The small end of the rod uses a steel bcked bronze bushing, etc. The poston pin is extruded from carbon steel that is carburized to control strength and wear.

The list just goes on, the pre-chamber is an advanced design for mechanical injectors to control detionation, and better idomize the flame front for better combustion, the injector pump is leganary in itself, and other diesel designs have used it, such as detroit, and GM's 6.2/6.5.

Anyway, I truely believe the IDI motors provide the best bang for the buck you can find. Dollar for dollar, and pound for pound, the IDI is just a great diesel for light and medium duty trucks.

Marq
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no **** on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Mine runs as good as new with almost 421,000km on it. Hardly uses 1qt of oil in 4000km....Best damn engine I've had yet, and you gotta love the IDI sound when she's screaming!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as tough, the old 6.9s are as tough as they come.

My main dislikes of them are the poor mileage and their namesake In-Direct-Ignition.

A better DIRECT-INJECTION head design and more crank-case ventilation would be vast improvements, in my opinion.

I believe excessive pressure in the crank-case is the cause of most of the oil leak problems.

In the absence of Direct-Injection, ditching the entire glow-plug mess, in favor of push-button ether start, would be an improvement to most of them.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These engines are capable of getting as good fuel economy as any direct injected diesel or cummins. My truck is living proof of that. But I've put more effort than most into tuning the engine for better efficiency. I've screwed around with the timing so much I couldn't even tell you where the timing is because all I had to go on was feel. Some day I'll be looking for a proper timing setup.

I don't know why either injection would be considered an improvement for cold starting though. If anyone comes near my truck with that stuff he's taking his life into his hands:backoff Mine is usually running before completeing the first full turn. The bimetal glow plug controller is garbadge though, I now have a manual override feature that lets me cut power to the plugs if that switch ever malfunctions again. Would still like to get a dual coil glow plug eventually.

I actually feel that th eindirect injection is better. The Ricardo commet V chamber design is quite old by now but the research that went into it is still relevant to this day.