I Just. Can't. Win....

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Got the new pump into my new C6, T/C on it, up and mated to the engine. Put it all back together, fill it up slowly. And it feels like the forward cluch seals are gone. :mad:I have Reverse for days, and if I let it warm up then give it some beans it will creeeep forward. I'm going to let it sit and stew in it's fluids right now, perhaps a week.

Is there anything I may have overlooked? It'd make my year, if I'd muffed something simple up, or have it be simple as a solenoid, or valve body gasket.

For now I have to walk away from it. I'm just so angry, I wanna shove it into a ditch and put slugs into it till it stops being funny.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Did you fill the converter before putting it in the truck and filling the transmission like usual?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Did you fill the converter before putting it in the truck and filling the transmission like usual?

I did. I dun think its the T/C, because reverse acts completely normal. I can hear/feel it thunk in, then lean on the brake. However, forward gears have nothing until you really spool it up, and then it just creeps a little bit. Fluid level reads norm. Actually a wee bit high when it's warm.

I just want to hope it's not the forward clutch, cuz I don't want to drop this trans... again...

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
if you lived closer i'd give you my 4wd c6 i have. Its got a pretty recent rebuild and its tight. Its the tightest c6 i've ever driven.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I think I would have taken you up on that, but at this point. I am trying to figure out where to find the $$ for a zf5 swap.

Damn slushboxes hate me... they really do.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no solenoids on a c6, why did you change the pump in the first place?

In other words what was the original problem.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I would have taken you up on that, but at this point. I am trying to figure out where to find the $$ for a zf5 swap.

Damn slushboxes hate me... they really do.

No they don't.
A C6 is the easest tranny to rebuild. Even a Caveman can do it.:D
Did you rebuild it?
Did you have a C6 manual?
Did you adjust the 2nd gear band? Screw it all the way in using a torque wrench set to 15 ft. lbs. then back it out EXACTLY 1-1/2 turns.
Do you have at least 23 inches of vacuum?
Was the VRV ever adjusted?
Did you replace the short vacuum hose on the modulator at the tranny?
Make sure the fluid level is up after running it when warm, might be low after filling the torque converter.

You must be registered for see images

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
There are no solenoids on a c6, why did you change the pump in the first place?

In other words what was the original problem.

There was a long ordeal with this truck, and moving, and trying to change the trans on the side of the road.(see: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53920)

Short version I got impatient, and dumb, and tried to install the trans ONTO the t/c while the t/c was bolted to the engine.... with predictable results.

(also, I meant servo) :confused:

Attachments

• IMAG0369.jpg
    IMAG0369.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 24

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
No they don't.
A C6 is the easest tranny to rebuild. Even a Caveman can do it.:D

Really they do, this is just the current chapter in their fight against me.

I had hoped, because you are right, the C6 really is about the simplest, toughest, most robust auto I've encountered. I could get away with driving one for a while. Perhaps I shouldn't have overloaded the first one quite so much. :rotflmao

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short version I got impatient, and dumb, and tried to install the trans ONTO the t/c while the t/c was bolted to the engine.... with predictable results.:

Been there .. recently :)

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You definitely have a clutch pack piston seal going out (I have forgotten which one, I used to know). I had the exact same problem with the C6 in my 1971 LTD that had over 200K miles on it. It would go into reverse immediately, but you had to let the fluid warm up for about 2 minutes before it would go into any forward gear. This meant leaving it parked in a parking spot while the fluid warmed up so you wouldn't be blocking the aisle in the lot!

At this point, if you want to keep driving it, pour some stop-leak into the trans - it has solvent in it which swells the rubber seals. It's a temporary fix but it may allow you to drive it a bit for awhile longer as-is.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet you slid the pump in and damaged the seal rings that feed the clutch pack originally, I havent read the original post but if tthat isnt it then the forward clutch inner piston seal cooked and is not sealing anymore.
Too bad your so far away, i can do a c6 bench to bench in 2 hrs. no that doesnt include r&r.
did hundreds of them for tugs at evergreen.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet you slid the pump in and damaged the seal rings that feed the clutch pack originally, I havent read the original post but if tthat isnt it then the forward clutch inner piston seal cooked and is not sealing anymore.
Too bad your so far away, i can do a c6 bench to bench in 2 hrs. no that doesnt include r&r.
did hundreds of them for tugs at evergreen.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jus read yout OP, man that sucks. If you need any c6 parts I have tons.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online