I have ventured to the dark side!

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Hate to say it, but as of last week I now own a '97 F250HD PSD 4x4 SC....

I am still keeping dog around for plowing snow and as a work truck and a winter driver though. Can't get rid of the old headache. Still like my IDI, just needed to upgrade/update.

I sure like the PSD too!

Hoss.... ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't swonk em' too bad if they keep the IDI. It's only when they ditch it that it becomes time to beat em' up. :backoff

LOL

Having obtained a PSD myself, I can say that I do like my IDI better!

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can say that I do like my IDI better![/QUOTE]

I agree, I've been driving dads 04 when I need a truck while mines down. The seats are too hard and square! and theres no smoke!
But I do like the new torqueshift trans....

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Welcome to the Darkside I feel the Darkside growing stronger everyday.
While I like my PSD, My ol' IDI did just about everything I ever asked of it.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bwaaaaaahahahaha.... Welcome to the darkside. Hope she serves you well.

Having obtained a PSD myself, I can say that I do like my IDI better!

OK.....I'll stir the pot... I can't honestly say that with 325hp and 570 tq on tap in a much better riding and much more comfortable truck.

Don't get me wrong, the IDI served me well as have all 5 of my previous Ford trucks from an old F100 all the way to an LTL9000 and they all have a special place in my heart.

mainiac

Reaction score
I went to the dakside too. I just plowed 33 accounts with my IDI Monday and Tuesday. Just after reassembling the 6.9 on Friday. That 6.9 is a brute pushing snow.
I then drove the PSD around to rake roofs and shovel walks. I have a minute mount plow, but it isn't on the truck yet. Can't wait to compare the 2.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll agree, that the 99 and up trucks are much better on the creature comforts. But as luck would have it, I'm in a Freighliner FL-70 today, and it reminds me a whole lot more of my 83, then my 02. Watch out Eric! I hope you got lots of room in your driveway. LOL

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2000 PSD a couple months ago. I got to say it is a better truck as far as comfort and fit/finish is concerned, but I think my ol '85 would out pull it. Just haven't been impressed with its pulling power in stock form.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
having owned many IDI's and worked on many PSD's, I think the better analogy is the IDI is more visceral and the PSD is more insulated. There's no doubt the IDI truck lacks the creature comforts of a PSD but it's far better than many older pickups. Also, you can hear, feel and see the power coming on on a IDI. IMHO, it's much more linear feel.
PSD's otoh, is a "quieter" experience in the '99 and up trucks. In the OBS trucks, they're still noisy. From my experience, they remind me of a Kawi triple . There's nothing, absolutely nothing that resembles acceleration off the line until you hit 5k rpm. Then the power comes on. All the way to 14k. yes, it's screaming...it's a 2stroke:D. The PSD's I work on, are like that too. Nothing below 2k-2.5k rpm and the power comes on above that. These are fleet trucks and every owner has expressedly told me..."no mods". They have enough of a problem with the guys overdriving the brakes and wrecking. That brings up another point, the drivers don't have as much "input" from the '99 and up trucks and become less attentive to driving. I haven't seen as many OBS and older rollovers in comparison to the '99 and up trucks.
I know PSD's are inevitable, time is working against me every time I fire up my truck, but I'm not going down without a fight and I have more than a literal ton of spare parts to keep putting her back together:thumbsup:

big jake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post pics:backoff:backoff:backoff
Also, PM me the addy on where to drop by to strip those train horns off the IDI:D

Calvin:

Train horns are staying with the old truck, will be in the market for another setup for the new rig.

Only pic so far is the one posted in the link

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger