What front springs am I supposed to have?

Detroit80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1990 CCLB diesel 4x4, with one of the front springs having a bent main leaf. Not super horrible, but enough that I want to replace it. Problem is that I can't figure out what spring is _supposed_ to be in the front of a diesel truck...

Just looking at some place like sdtrucksprings.com (was just the first google hit for me), I see 4 different packs - 2 leaves, two listed as 2/PD leaves, and 3/PD leaves. All with different weight capacities. I get that more leaves or thicker leaves means more capacity, and the higher rated ones are for things like snow plow prep packages or camper packages, but what I don't know is how much do I need to hold up that pig of a diesel, without having so much excess capacity that it rides like it has a locked out front suspension?

I thought about the RSK kits and SD truck springs, but since I use this truck to haul my Lance camper and tow some heavy trailers, I don't really want to lift it up any higher, so I'm looking at stock style replacements for it. I also want new, not worn out junk yard springs.

Fredrickson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your truck one that has lots of info on the door sticker?
If so, is there a 'spring' section in the lower right corner?

Detroit80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'll be....I've had this truck for years, and I never even noticed that, lol. Unfortunately, a PO laid some overspray during their spray bomb paint job, but I can still make out "T F" under springs...I think...

You must be registered for see images attach

Fredrickson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a quick look, so don't make any final purchases based on what I wrote here..

SDTruckSprings.com has a cross reference chart..
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/ford-spring-code-listings

T(front) F(rear)
T=2,200lbs, oem part number E5TZ5310K
F=1850, oem part number E0TZ5560N, E0TA5560BEA

budgetary look-see
fronts: https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=E5TZ5310K $224-$241
rears at: https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=E0TZ5560N $115-$160

Hope this points you in the right direction..

Detroit80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...I'm really surprised that a diesel would have shipped with the lightest springs available in the front...perhaps that explains the oddly smooth and comfortable ride of this truck, lol. Of course, these lightest springs also happen to be the most expensive, lol. Given that I'm planning on adding a winch bumper up front, it may not be a bad idea to step up a bit on those springs either..

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Wow...I'm really surprised that a diesel would have shipped with the lightest springs available in the front...perhaps that explains the oddly smooth and comfortable ride of this truck, lol.

My RV has pretty wimpy rear leaf spring (in my opinion). Spring codes say "M L", but of course it's coil front and leaf rear.

You must be registered for see images attach

From the SDtrucksprings E-Series list:
M 1981-1990 43-599
L 1981-1991 43-659

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726