i hate the E4OD!!!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with towcat here, I heard that there were some major upgrades in around the 96-97 time frame. From what I hear the E4OD and 4R100 trannies with the 97-up upgrades did fine. I just would really hate my livelihood to depend on an E4OD after hearing what I have here about them though.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I say a C6 and GV is the best option and probably cheaper too....... I have a buddy who owns a transmission rebuild business - even he won't rebuild E4OD's....Money loosing job he say's...I can buy a reman E4OD from these guys http://www.jensenspowertrain.com/ for $1400 with the core charge included for my 91. Dyno tested with a 2 or 3yr warranty optional. They have a very good reputation in my area no matter what it is that they rebuilt.;Sweet...Knock on wood, my E4OD works great and it's getting a flush before winter...I would say it's probably been rebuilt at some time with 412,000km on it....It shifts nice and firm.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was, but the torque converter clutch gave out first (which is the other common thing I guess).
Jay
Yup Yup the truck I just bought had the same issue with the torque converter... dealership replaced it and it seems solid now... well it only has 39K miles on it, so its still kind of a young'n LOL

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've said this a million times but here goes, the E4OD and the 4R100 are the same transmission. The difference is E4OD is Ford nomenclature, 4R100 is ISO nomenclature. GM and other manufacturers changed the names in the same manner.

Yes there are some differences based on year, they are all more-or-less interchangeable.

The 4R100 was used with diesels past 2003, since the Econolines continued to use the 7.3 after the pickups had been switched over.

My point is that the transmissions are not automatically prone to failure. There is always a reason.

the 4r100 has a completely different case than the e4od.im not saying the internals arent the same but the 4r100 will take a little more abuse than the e4od.you dont hear about the 4r100s as much as you do the e4ods.the 4r100s have a line that runs from front to rear on top of the case,2 sensors in the top of the case.completely different wireing connection.i already looked into putting a 4r100 into it.i also had one shipped to me instead of the e4od for my 95.have seen them in person.and if i remember correctly the 4r100 is a little longer than the e4od.

the tranny shop gave me a new converter,seal,filter and gasket for it.but since i pulled it and dropped it off i gotta pull it and swap the converter.its not a big deal but that junk ATS crap exhaust gets in the way of everything on the passengers side.fords stupid idea of studs on the converter is bad enough to deal with when lining everything up.but throw in the fact that i have to slide the tranny in crooked to get it past the downpipe while lining up the bell housing and converter studs makes it a major PITA.why dont these companies that make the aftermarket converters get rid of the studs and make it so you can use normal bolts like a GM?it cant be that hard to make a small change like that.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I'm with towcat here, I heard that there were some major upgrades in around the 96-97 time frame. From what I hear the E4OD and 4R100 trannies with the 97-up upgrades did fine. I just would really hate my livelihood to depend on an E4OD after hearing what I have here about them though.

Upgrades started in 95. 97 is the best year for a stock E4OD. You can beef up the E4OD with 4R100 parts plus some aftermarket parts and a little tweeking;Sweet . Then the E4 will break other parts.:D

topgunn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through several rebuilds on my E40D. I didn't have trans. temp gauge until last time when I had a trans cooler added. The second day the temp went up and over 280 just driving to town. I took it back to shop and they found that NO fluid was flowig thriugh radistor line. Disconnected it, ran only inline cooler and no problem while towing 32' 5th wheel over mountains. I asked the rebuilders, over the years, if I needed a extra cooler. If you have a gauge, by-pass radiator and check temp. First trans went 180,000 miles.
TOPGUNN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online