I got a ZF-5

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the whole thing from the flywheel to transfer case. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to just put the whole thing in Dual mass clutch and all? It came out of a 93kmi truck that was rear ended and totaled. The 7.3 is still available for $800 if anybody wants it. It is complete from oil pan to injection pump. I can pick it up. Its already out.

I did a search but got a gazillion posts back, I think its picking up the "ZF5" in peoples sigs cause most of the threads I got back were unrelated.

For those of you who have done this...

How long did it take you?
What do I need...
ZF5 pilot bearing?
I have the cross member

Can I get the trans floor hump out of any ZF equipped ford? I think there is a few 4x4 F150s with the ZF at the yard. If I cant get one its hammer and saw time I guess. Any measurements?

For those that did the single mass, how much $ and where?

Thanks!!!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cant help you with the other questions but the SMF was 575 shipped and was well worth it, it included the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate and installation tool

i love the feel of that clutch i would do it if i were you, its a better clutch.

good luck

matt

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose you saw the sticky thread for T19 to ZF5 conversion. Might want to get the kevlar pilot bearing bushing from south bend clutch, at least I'm told the T19 and ZF both benefit from it. No real knowledge on my part just trying to keep it alive for someone who does know to get you some good info. Big Rig Tech, The Warden, the other guys who have done it.

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean the engine is available? Where is it? Close to Alabama? Thanks.

Paul B

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and to answer about the SMF clutch, I got one from clutch city, I think. It was $575 also, incuding shipping. Worked great (when the engine was working) and does have a little of the gear rollover sound.

Paul B

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
DMF's get a bad wrap because of the dealers liking to replace them all the time. Truth be told, you can go to a dealer and pick up a used DMF that they pulled to replace it because it was "bad" and it more than likely wont be. I personally didnt like the loud grumble of the ZF trans with the solid flywheel, and neither did my mom. She wouldnt let me hear the end of it until we bought her a new DMF and installed it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yes, the kevlar pilot bushing is well worth the few extra bucks ;Sweet
If the dual mass flywheel is still good, I don't see any reason to replace it. A new clutch and throwout bearing would be a good idea though. Or like I did, I got a rebuilt clutch with a kevlar lining from Ft Wayne Clutch
If you keep an eye on ebay, they have some overstock on there pretty cheap sometimes. I lucked out there and got one of their kevlar lined sets on ebay dirt cheap. They have some standard lining rebuilt clutch kits on there for $85 right now .

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can usually find clutch discs only on ebay for the ZF5. It was no dice on the T19. Not to hijack but is that kevlar bushing to be used along with or in place of a standard pilot bearing? Thanks

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can usually find clutch discs only on ebay for the ZF5. It was no dice on the T19. Not to hijack but is that kevlar bushing to be used along with or in place of a standard pilot bearing? Thanks

You pop the old pilot bearing out and press the kevlar bushing in . smear a thin film of grease on it and you're good to go.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It took me about 16hrs to convert from a E4OD to a ZF, bolted right in and all I had to do was cut a hole in the trans hump pan.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose you saw the sticky thread for T19 to ZF5 conversion. Might want to get the kevlar pilot bearing bushing from south bend clutch, at least I'm told the T19 and ZF both benefit from it. No real knowledge on my part just trying to keep it alive for someone who does know to get you some good info. Big Rig Tech, The Warden, the other guys who have done it.

Thanks for pointing that out. I always forget about those things. Very Helpfull. Many Thanks to the contributors.

You mean the engine is available? Where is it? Close to Alabama? Thanks.
The engine is available and its near Woodbridge, VA. I only bring it up since it looks to be a good deal. If I had room I would buy it. I dont mind getting it for whoever and shipping it or holding it for a few weeks. The shipping will cost you though.