I beam bushings

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 91' 2wd F250 and i need to put some I beam bushings in it. They are past being gone. My question is hard of a job is it to do and do the bushings prest in.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Are you talking about the center pivot bushings? Or the ones that are at the frame rails?

tractorman86

Reaction score
go with a polyurethane like energy suspension. they are a bit of a pain to get out but with an air hammer it isn't too bad

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove tire, shock and coil spring. Place jack stand under radius arm. Loosen radius arm nut. Remove bolt from pivot bushing. Use pry bar to get pivot end of I-beam out of bracket. (Radius arm will rotate and hold in place. Just need to clear bracket). Use drill and bit to drill out rubber bushing, after rubber is out, use chisel and hammer to compress metal sleeve and remove. Replace with new bushing, I used a pipe cap with a hole in center and nut and bolt to make a press to pull new bushing in place.
There are many other ways to do as well. This worked for me and took about 3 hrs for both pivot bushings and radius arm bushings. Hope this helps.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are talking the axle-bushings at the ends of the axles where they pivot, I didn't remove springs, wheels, or anything when I did mine.

Soak everything with knocker-loose for days before starting the job.

Support the frame on stands.

Do one axle at a time, remove bolt, let axle drop out of bracket, knock out old bushing, cut out the remaining metal sleeve, and PRESS in the new.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Not very hard, I used hammer and chisel to remove them with ease. No need to remove anything around them as far as I remember but You want the front lifted.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
MAke sure the tires have normal weight on them or I beams are on jack stands holding the weight when you tighten down the bolts or you will be doing the job again very shortly.

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am going to do them first thing in the morning. i am going to try them with the tire and everything on to see if that works. Thanks again.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
^^^ Is this true for the TTB 4wd front axle as well? If it is then crap...

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just got done looking at a 90' f-150 2wd and it is the same. I am sure the 4wd TTB is too. if i keep this truck I will put a dana 60 up front on it. i just got it last week and doing a bunch of little stuff to get it road worthy. It runs great. i got it for $200.00 and it has a new pump, injectors, starter, return lines, and aton more. I had to put a wiper motor, vac pump, front brakes, and tires on it. I have put 1k miles on it so far driving it back and forth to town. It runs great. I will put some pics of it up soon.