how would you build a stang diesel?

What would you do?

• Total voters

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Ok I know it sounds crazy but I'd like to get this 69 convertible that this lady is letting rot away in her yard. been setting at least 10 years. She wants $2k for it? would it be crazy to drop a 6.9 in it? what tranny? what rear end what front end? or just wake up and restore it?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with putting a diesel in a stang. Just as long as it is a run of the mill car and not anything special. As much as I like the IDI's I think it would be better to go with a newer engine with more power potential. It IS a mustang after all!

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I see your point with the 6.9 in a 69. I just figured that it should be able to get it to quiet the nay sayers. You know you are going to have those who don't drive diesels saying "You should have put a big block in it". With the right set up you can get their attention real fast. They'll be wondering how the diesel stang ate their toy for lunch.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
o boy, i love the 6.9 and i love stangs but that is like mixing two other loves of mine, sherbert and hot sauce.

its a neat idea and i would be completely amused to check it out but cant in good conscience recommend it...:cool my .02 cents

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I see your point with the 6.9 in a 69. I just figured that it should be able to get it to quiet the nay sayers. You know you are going to have those who don't drive diesels saying "You should have put a big block in it". With the right set up you can get their attention real fast. They'll be wondering how the diesel stang ate their toy for lunch.

You got a point,
A 6.9 is a big block!LOL
I'd still think an intercooled turboed 6.9 with moose pump and injectors and a Zf6 would eat up a big block!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got a point,
A 6.9 is a big block!LOL
I'd still think an intercooled turboed 6.9 with moose pump and injectors and a Zf6 would eat up a big block!

Although I am a big fan of transplanting the "wrong" engine in certain vehicles, I think the 6.9 and trans would be really physically large in an early Mustang. Lots of shock towers and floor pan modifications would be needed to shoe horn it in there.

I would go for a small block with AOD built mild for low end and mileage so you could actually drive it.

Most importantly: Good luck no matter what you decide.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude if i saw a diesel mustang i would really be impressed, and id probably call my freinds and tell them how BAMF it is

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i myself would stuff a 7.3 PSD in it with the right e4od.my psd has takin the abuse i gave it and kept on going.it has died twice now but not cuz of me.both times it was something with the injectors.im trying to figure out how to get a psd into my buddies little jeep wrangler.if it can push my CC duallie down the 1/4 at 15 seconds i could only imagine what would happen if i stuck it in a little jeep.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
As sweet as it would be... have you seen the engine bay of a Mustang? About a foot and a half wide ha ha. Seriously though a friend of mine has a 69 with a 428 and it is tight! Stuffing even a mod motor in there requires serious sledgehammer to shock tower action.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
Although I am a big fan of transplanting the "wrong" engine in certain vehicles, I think the 6.9 and trans would be really physically large in an early Mustang. Lots of shock towers and floor pan modifications would be needed to shoe horn it in there.

I would go for a small block with AOD built mild for low end and mileage so you could actually drive it.

Most importantly: Good luck no matter what you decide.

Not to mention beef up the front end for the extra weight, but still i say go for it iwas close enough i would be there in a heartbeat to give you a hand

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Update!

A buddy wants the 69 for a project and I found a 65 ready for the build for $800 will talk him down and post pictures if..............:backoff