1987 Crew Cab 2WD Build

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry didn't see that last post so I should clean these and then use the metal plugs? Anyone have part number by chance? I assume they are the same size as the 7.3?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The gasket seals these holes. There is no plugs for these due to the shape. Your holes are kind of an oval shape while the ones in the 7.3s with the plugs are round. You can try to seal them up with something if you want. I have no suggestions on what to use though.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Former thread about the same issue, not sure there was a concensous. But you may find it helpful.

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love seeing these blocks apart. They were ahead of their time

You have machine work done to the heads? Always a good idea to check specs then

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was putting the arp studs in tonight with a brand new calibrated torque wrench from Cdi (snap on company). I was at the 150lb stage and the below pics happened. To be honest I just stared at it for some time in disbelief. I still am in shock. I did this by the book in sequence. I dont know where to go from here, but I know it's not good. These are arp. Yes I chased the threads with the arp chaser. Then blow out the holes. I'm super bummed if I'm being honest.

Attachments

• 20210617_193546.jpg
    20210617_193546.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 11

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I have replayed it the more I believe it was a run away torque wrench that didnt signal. I did think man... why is this thing not clicking. I am lost as to recourse. Head comes back off this weekend.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My first question is "why were you torquing them to 150 lbs-ft when you have a 6.9?" The spec for head bolts is 80-85 lbs-ft (I don't remember which it is right now) so you were almost doubling the spec. Next time, try less torque and you probably won't have issues like this. When I stud my 6.9, I'm going to 110 lbs-ft at the most.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
The more I have replayed it the more I believe it was a run away torque wrench that didnt signal. I did think man... why is this thing not clicking. I am lost as to recourse. Head comes back off this weekend.
I believe what you were feeling was the stud yeilding and stretching. Once you get past a certain point the stud or bolt will thin out in a section and the tensile load it can carry will drop off until it snaps. I don't think the torque wrench is bad.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Although it's possible to have a torque wrench do this. Mine did this the only time that I've built a 7.3 PSD from a bare block. I was torquing the head bolts and all of a sudden I had to turn one a LONG ways compared to the other bolts. I did stop before any damage occurred. I finished with a different torque wrench and bought another one (that I still have to this day) pretty quickly after that.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Although it's possible to have a torque wrench do this. Mine did this the only time that I've built a 7.3 PSD from a bare block. I was torquing the head bolts and all of a sudden I had to turn one a LONG ways compared to the other bolts. I did stop before any damage occurred. I finished with a different torque wrench and bought another one (that I still have to this day) pretty quickly after that.
Very good point, I should have thought about the torque wrench possibly being out of calibration.

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Life grabbed me pulling me off for a while. I thought I was moving to Redmond there for a second.

So what made me go 150 was Justin with R&D, I heard CDD reference on his site selling his head gasket, and Nick Pisca (who also referenced Justin in his build breakdown). After talking with Russ it's 110. Per Arp anything beyond torqued beyond 80lbs that hadn't yielded was close. I had to buy another set . I returned that pos torque wrench, and ordered a new one.

When I pulled the head back off I lucked out. The dowels I ordered from ebay are soft metal. They where a very tight fit. This left top slightly mushroomed. That mushroomed top sheared when I put the head on and dropped the shrapnel in to the cylinder. Thank god I pulled the head. I am going to now make my own dowels.

On another positive note champion stepped up and sent me a new radiator. I ended up having to call them direct. What I got from my talks is that car I.d. and champion are in bed together. Either way they stepped up big. In fact I was supposed to send an email to champion direct stating my problem. I spaced it for a couple of days and by the time I remembered I had a new radiator in my living room. Very impressive turn around. If someone wants the first radiator in Oregon let me know.

All my ss line and fittings came in to make my fuel pump set up. I have stared painting the interior trim. A little progress here and there. Pics to follow. I hope everyone is well.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When Wes and Justin went to 150, they were also working on a 7.3. Even with the bolts, they call for a higher final torque than a 6.9 does.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another positive note champion stepped up and sent me a new radiator. I ended up having to call them direct. What I got from my talks is that car I.d. and champion are in bed together. Either way they stepped up big. In fact I was supposed to send an email to champion direct stating my problem. I spaced it for a couple of days and by the time I remembered I had a new radiator in my living room. Very impressive turn around. If someone wants the first radiator in Oregon let me know.

Glad to see this was resolved.

I've been in the same boat. Ordered something, place it on the shelf, go to install it months(or years) later, and find out it was damaged before packaging and now I'm well past the return window.

In my situation, I purchased another from the same seller, swapped the parts, and returned the original one as defective for my money back. If doing this is right or wrong, I don't know, but the damage isn't my fault and I sure as hell am not eating the loss on it.

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yielding bolts get squishy and they spring back a bit. Likely what was happening.

I did ARPs on my 6.9. Felt the squishyness at 135 ft lb and stopped. Thinking 130 is max from now on. I don't want to be ruining expensive reusable studs.

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol guilty as well. Look...if the company doesn't want to be accountable to what pays their bills then why should they get ours? If it's a game then I'll play.

I agree and you are right about the 7.3 difference. I'm going to 110 now. You live and learn. I learned on this one! Ouch on the second set!