"The Working Girl" build thread

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess since I'm closing in on having this truck up to my standards for road worthiness, I should start a build thread for it. I'm not the best at documenting my work with pics, or posting updates online, but I figured i ought to give a recap of what I've done up till now.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is my truck right after I bought it. I guess technically it pretty much looks the same now from the outside. I did spend some time straightening the front bumper and it looks pretty acceptable now.

Naming vehicles isn't really my style, but my wife and kids were insistent that this truck be named. I plan on driving this truck for work at least some of the time, so "Working Girl" was the only name they came up with that I was ok with.

Buying the truck was a bit of an impulse buy. It was cheap, and I knew the motor would most likely need to be replaced. The #7 & #8 rods were both sticking through the oil pan. Early on I toyed around with the idea of swapping in a Detroit 6V53T that I had been sitting on for the last 7 years. Two things steered me away from that route. The first thing was a tape measure. The second was I discovered a crack in the block that was apparent freeze damage. The engine was buried in a storage unit over the winter while I was building my shop. I new the oil cooler housing had busted, but the discovery of the cracked block was the final nail in the coffin for that one for me. I threw the Detroit up on ebay and had it sold within a week, and actually ended up making a little bit of money over what I had in it.

In the mean time, I had pulled the original engine out and tore it down far enough to determine that there wasn't much left to work with. I decided to start looking for a complete running motor to work with. I wasn't having any luck locally, but I found a complete running 93 7.3 IDIT on ebay. I worked out a deal with the seller, and for pretty much what I got out of the Detroit I had that engine headed my way.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My plan at that time was to tear that engine down, freshen it up with rings, bearings, head studs, and maybe a cam. Unfortunately, while waiting on my "new" engine to arrive, my oldest son managed to total his car, and I had to help him get into a new ride. There went my budget for that plan. I had seen a video of the "new" motor running before it was pulled from the donor truck, and it had decent compression, so I decided on a less ambitious plan. The oil pan had been damaged during shipping, so it had to come off any way. I pulled a few main and rod caps to inspect the bearings, and checked them with plastigage. Everything looked good, and was on the low end of the specs for oil clearance, so I torqued everything back, and buttoned it up with a new oil pan. While I had the engine on the stand it got a new thermostat and waterpump. The original dead NA motor had just received a new injectors from pensacola diesel. The box was still in the passenger floor board, the PO thought the problem was injectors, boy was he off. Those went into the new motor to replace what I beleive were the originals from the factory. I did this because the seller noted that there was some noticeable white smoke at startup that was raw fuel. That is much better now BTW. I also installed new return lines and caps, and 8 new motorcraft glow plugs. I resealed the oil cooler as well while it was on the stand. I swapped the V-belt accessories onto the new motor, but made sure to keep the IDIT balancer. The new motor was also from a 5spd truck, and had a Luk SMF clutch installed. It looked to have a fair amount of life left, so I'm running it. I did replace the pilot bearing, and TO bearings though. I also picked up a replacement cord for the block heater that was missing. My NAPA had it in stock for like $16. It fit perfectly.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I dropped the new motor in, I decided to degrease and pressure wash as much as I could. Using a boom pole on my tractor, I lifted the front of the truck as high as I could and tried to get it as clean as I could. The old motor made one hell of a mess when it let go. I guess I forgot to mention, that it was still running on just 6 cylinders. Even as thorough as I had tried to be, it seems like I still can't get under the truck without coming out completely black. I thought I took pictures of this, it seemed photo worthy, but I guess I didn't.

I also installed senders for EGT, boost, and Oil pressure gauges. I went with Glow Shift gauges because I like the looks of them, and they seem to be decent quality. I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in the dash, and I don't like gauges on the A pillar. So, I bought a black ABS project box off Amazon for less than $10 and mounted it here.

As you can see I also added a USB charge port, and left myself room for some switches etc. The harnesses for the gauges are pretty nice and utilize oem style connectors at each sender. I'll try to take some pics of that and post them later.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I am looking into gauges for my 87' f250,and I didn't want to hack nothing up either,so this is giving me ideas.:bail
Truck looks good by the way,I have always loved idi dually's.
My trucks are way overdue for needed attention,but between the weather and the parts on order,I am going crazy-cuss

Rock