"How to turn plastic waste into diesel fuel cheaply"

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the truck I speak of, had 320,000 on it when I bought it, it was using oil pretty good, hence the owner dumping it on me before it lost enough compression to be a pain in the ass. I have put another 55 60 on it. It is just now starting to have missing issues. I haven't the foggiest why. It could be coking, it could be worn injectors it could be compression loss. It could be a **** poor batch of fuel. Oil consumption has gone up enough for me to start dumping my cleanest fuel in it for crankcase lube in the last couple months. yeah yeah I know, I'm too cheap to buy a 20.00 gallon of oil every week. This stuff is so clean it looks ALMOST like new oil. The missing is isolated to one cylinder, no1 passenger side. I can tell it's that cylinder because the slow fuel filter leak that runs down on the manifold stays partially wet on the exhaust port for that cylinder. If I work the truck hard and run it fast it starts to smoke it off so I assume I'm getting a partial burn on that cylinder. IF I don't get called to work this week I'm going to build all those round tuits Ive been needing. One of those round tuits is to pull the injector on that cylinder and have a look inside with a bore scope, as well as swap the injector for a known good one.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something else to think of, you gotta buy that ride no matter the fuel you burn in it.

Now if someone new had a week like I had this week, they would surely rethink WMO. I have changed 5 secondary filters on the benzes this week, and wifey gets a new one tomorrow. Thats 6 filters at 12 bucks a pop. I am currently sucking all of the fuel out of her tank with a little bitty hose from the super sucker to her fuel pump inlet.. It has taken 24 to draw the tank down from full to almost empty. I wanted to draw it out that way so I could get the last drop out. WHY? What happened? I ran a batch of fuel last week and assumed it was clean and ready to go and dumped it in the fuel tanks. Which would have been fine, if I had not made one error..... After fuging I run through finishing filters. I pump through three identical wix 10 mic filters and then through a goldenrod water block that is only good for 17 mics. That has been working for almost two years on "******" (the truck in my sig) it works because I selected my finishing filters to be better filters than the stock truck filter that is 12 or 15 mics depending on which you use. It's been working fine on the cars most of the summer because I apparently had some pretty clean batches of fuel. Let this dirty batch get in there and it plugged the car filters..... WHY? cause they are 8 mic filters, and I polish/finish at 10. I didn't discover until yesterday how dirty my fuel was. Until yesterday afternoon I thought I was having water issues. I opened up my fuges that were still sitting from the batch that has plugged all these filters to discover they were plugged full of garbage, and no telling how long they had run on that batch doing nothing but passing dirty fuel cause they were full. I honestly don't know where the garbage came from, the same raw material has usually been cleaning up in a single 8hr run with less than a 1/16th of buildup in the rotors. I honestly can't remember if I absent mindedly dumped a bucket of dirty oil in the mixer tank or if I just drew from too close to the bottom of the settle tank. I do know that this batch has been the only batch the plugged filters within miles of filling the tanks. This batch has been the only time I ever had anything run so bad they wouldn't run.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh, Even though your finishing filters are a greater rating than your cars filters Ill just give you my experience.

I've been using (3) 4 micron synthetic media filter before my fuge for a good 35-40k miles and have probably pluged (5) 2 micron CAT filters in the last 2 years from my oil.

Not saying that's not your troubles but just saying that its never gave me enough troubles to re-do my setup

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know it's not absolute, and the push/pull pressure makes a huge difference. That batch was incredibly dirty for some reason. I'm pretty sure I was pulling from the bottom of the tote, as it's hard to tell where my pickup is on the pump I use to move fluid around the barn. When I opened the fuges yesterday I realized that was the issue(too much dirt). I have already run a few hundred gallons through both cars with my current setup. All i am going to do is add two series 2 mic filters after the water block. My polishing setup will be WIX 10 WIX 10 WIX 10 GOLDEN 17-WB WIX 2 WIX 2. It'll cost me about 100 bucks to add the two new filters, and 13 bucks a replacement spinon. I'll have the option of 6 mic or 2 mic glass or paper filters with the base I am going with. One thing to note though, I have never blinded a filter from trash til this past week. And have only gotten one with water. And i didn't really know why I was having trouble until I saw how full the fuges were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matjonbak

Staff online