How to lube the pot metal ignition actuator before it breaks

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Been reading about this, mine works fine now but it would make sense to me to lube the part now before it breaks, anybody know how to do this?

It would be nice if someone would say "spray some lithium grease in this hole on your column" but I have a feeling it will be harder than that.

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pushbutton starter will help take a lot of loading off that. Just turn key to ON pos and push it to actuate starter. Just takes a hot wire ran to the starter relay!

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But what if you dont want your pickup to look like a high schoolers jalopy.......:rotflmao

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
push button starter is right up there with the trailer plugs for power mirrors....

thats kind of like bolting wheels onto a canoe...

sure it will get you somewhere but there IS a better way...

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Stick your key in your ears and wiggle it around. Now insert in ignition and turn.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
All of them ive seen broken had galled up. The metal wearing off the pot metal arm itself was its own destruction. To do it right you would have to remove it periodically and clean it, add lube and reinstall it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A spare part in the glove box is a fine idea...:sly
I like the push botton idea too. Might also work as a theft deterent ....

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how would one lube it though?....i havent used mine for atleast a month and i went to crank it yesterday and i felt quite a bit of resistance in the tumbler

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Sorry, not easy. You could spray grease or oil down any of the cracks and it might help, but probably just make a mess. To get to this thing, you have to take out the ignition switch, remove the steering wheel, shifter cowl and other bits and pieces. This is why these tend to fail, no one wants to do the job right. Once all of the parts are out, it is easy to take out the actuator and slather it with white (lithium) grease. Then it is good for another 20 years or so.

Be sure to check condition before greasing it, you may want to replace it with another, newer one.

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use graphited cable lube, You can pick it up at any atv/motorcycle store, maybe even an auto parts store. Its not very messy and really seems to help. I also use it for my door locks as well. I give em all a squirt once a month or every other month when ever i notice one of the locks feels like its sticking a little bit

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, not easy. You could spray grease or oil down any of the cracks and it might help, but probably just make a mess. To get to this thing, you have to take out the ignition switch, remove the steering wheel, shifter cowl and other bits and pieces. This is why these tend to fail, no one wants to do the job right. Once all of the parts are out, it is easy to take out the actuator and slather it with white (lithium) grease. Then it is good for another 20 years or so.

Be sure to check condition before greasing it, you may want to replace it with another, newer one.

wow that sounds very indepth....but its alot better than being stranded somewhere. I guess it could be hotwired though if worse came to worse?
Ill consult haynes on this one and i think ill replacing it when i have it all apart, i dont imagine them being very expensive

with push button start how do you cycle the plugs?

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
My truck's ignition will turn and start the truck with the key laying in the seat beside me :eek: just waiting foe someone to thieve it LOL