How To Injector Rebuild?

TestDriver

Reaction score
As the title states, I want to rebuild my own injectors. What are the parts that get replaced? Where can I get them? What machining, if any is involved? Any web sites I should look at?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What you will probably find is the parts cost more than the new injectors. You will really need a set of shims to get the pop pressures all the same. That means within 50 lbs of being exactly the same. Some try to get the pressures within 25 lbs...:rotflmao Now you need an injector pop tester. That can be expensive because there are not many around for something as old as our motors. We have 2 members than can guide you better than me. Typ4 (RUSS) is one of them and Agnem(MEL( is the other. They have the experiance you may need. Keeping things really clean is important. I have seen only one cleaning kit offered on Ebay. That had all the small files and rods for cleaning out the ports in the tips. Good luck with this adventure and keep us posted. You may need some help down the line and thats why most of us are here.

TestDriver

Reaction score
What you will probably find is the parts cost more than the new injectors. You will really need a set of shims to get the pop pressures all the same. That means within 50 lbs of being exactly the same. Some try to get the pressures within 25 lbs...:rotflmao Now you need an injector pop tester. That can be expensive because there are not many around for something as old as our motors. We have 2 members than can guide you better than me. Typ4 (RUSS) is one of them and Agnem(MEL( is the other. They have the experiance you may need. Keeping things really clean is important. I have seen only one cleaning kit offered on Ebay. That had all the small files and rods for cleaning out the ports in the tips. Good luck with this adventure and keep us posted. You may need some help down the line and thats why most of us are here.

Maybe I should get my hands on a set of cheap used injectors to play around with. That way, I'll learn and have some spare parts on hand. Anyone here have such a set?

I have access to a spring checker at my job and round shims as small as 4mm in diameter and .004" thick increasing in thickness by .002" per step and in diameter by 2mm up to 20mm. Does it sound like this is something I could use?

I had a fair idea of how to build a pop tester similar to the one in the link posted above. That guy out-did me though since his concept uses a cheaper pump and seems very useful.

The one thing I think would be too worn would be the nozzles. Where could I find some of those?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any really good diesel injection pump rebuild shop will have what you need. Be warned... There are some "shops" that are filthy that do rebuilds... Don't have them do any work for you. The shop should have the rebuilding and calibration area behind glass and surgically clean.

TestDriver

Reaction score

Nice! Just what I was looking for.

In that write-up, there is no mention of parts replacement or re-finishing though. It only describes cleaning.

Also, and I'm new to this so I could be wrong but, he's wrongly describing the pressure passage as the leak off "return fuel holes". This is where the fuel goes to the needle-seat interface. The hole is clocked by the locating dowels. On other types of injectors with no locating dowels, the holes may not match up directly but the fuel is directed through annular passages on the interface between the two injector halves.

Now, where can I look to for new nozzles? The Powerstroke guys seem to have them offered everywhere.

TestDriver

Reaction score
Any really good diesel injection pump rebuild shop will have what you need. Be warned... There are some "shops" that are filthy that do rebuilds... Don't have them do any work for you. The shop should have the rebuilding and calibration area behind glass and surgically clean.

I'll look around. Though I live in the Detroit Metro area, I'm fairly distanced from the industrial zones and work regular hours. This makes it a bit difficult to get away to where the rebuild shops would be. An internet source would be good for now.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Most of the rebuild shops that are online can get the parts, yet there is one other thing that you should try. Give Extrude Hone a call, they offer a nozzle service. If your units are basically fine, let them run their abrasive media through them. Can improve flow to whatever level you want, yet even just using the process to equalize the flow rates and improve the spray pattern will make the engine run better.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish you good luck in this. I've done a couple, and for the amount of time I spent, I'd gladly pay somebody else to do it. If you do it all the time, and are set up in a production environment you could probaby do it reasonably well, however for me, my hobby time is better spent doing other things. I don't want to spend a whole saturday or more, pulling my hair out putting together and breaking down injectors over and over again.

TestDriver

Reaction score
Most of the rebuild shops that are online can get the parts, yet there is one other thing that you should try. Give Extrude Hone a call, they offer a nozzle service. If your units are basically fine, let them run their abrasive media through them. Can improve flow to whatever level you want, yet even just using the process to equalize the flow rates and improve the spray pattern will make the engine run better.

Thanks.

I'm really just trying to get back to factory specs. And, do it in the least costly way possible.

Pensacola Diesel, on ebay, sells rebuilt injectors for $108 shipped. If I find a source for nozzles, it's got to be less than that for 8 of them with new o rings and crush washers.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Test Driver,

Do a search and you may want to think twice about dealing with Pensacola Diesel. I think we have had some members deal with them and will not deal with them again.

TestDriver

Reaction score
Test Driver,

Do a search and you may want to think twice about dealing with Pensacola Diesel. I think we have had some members deal with them and will not deal with them again.

Yup, I've seen the warnings. I myself have no prior dealings with them but if I do, it will be in buying new parts to rebuild my stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online