How much smoke is "normal"?

Guffey6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 88 7.3 idi na with a zf5 tranny. I replaced my pump with a spare pump from a parts truck a few months ago because mine blew its load. After the swap it was blowing smoke more than my old one, like just puffing a little while idling around in 1st. I'm not a fan of lots of smoke especially without a turbo. And while in 5th under load there was a continuous stream.
I just have got around to turning down my set screw maybe 1/2 a flat, if that. The smoke is much much better, only blowing a little while starting out in 2nd from a stop, or gunning it in 4th and 5th. It just kinda rolls out though. So how much smoke is a normal amount?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some,none,a little,a lot.
All are the right answer.
Do post a vid at idle, then going thru the gears...

Guffey6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I upload a video? I can upload pictures but don't know how to do video.

Guffey6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as it's long enough to pull me back home if this thing dies on me lol

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically, smoke at idle os due to retarded timing. You replaced the pump... did you dynamic time it?

You'll probably need to advance the timing a bit, until you have /no/ white, gray or blue smoke. Black smoke under load is different; that can be adjusted with the fueling screw(which only affects MAX fuel at any given rpm), but ONLY adjust this after getting your timing decent.

Guffey6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically, smoke at idle os due to retarded timing. You replaced the pump... did you dynamic time it?

You'll probably need to advance the timing a bit, until you have /no/ white, gray or blue smoke. Black smoke under load is different; that can be adjusted with the fueling screw(which only affects MAX fuel at any given rpm), but ONLY adjust this after getting your timing decent.

Alright, I changed the pump a couple of months ago. 3 weeks after the swap I started having a very sluggish truck with no power. I turned the top of the pump towards the drivers side a 1/16th and all problems stopped, but I was still having black smoke issues. I turned down my IP 1/2 a flat today. So should I turn the pump back 1/16th and go from there?

Guffey6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every local shop I've called says they just "tune by ear" and I figured I could do the same considering it's my truck. And I don't like spending money on something not precise.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd say yes. try to move it back towards the passenger's side a little. See what it does. This is advancing the timing. The lope and smoke at idle sounds like the timing's slow to me too.

Guffey6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say yes. try to move it back towards the passenger's side a little. See what it does. This is advancing the timing. The lope and smoke at idle sounds like the timing's slow to me too.

I advanced the timing 1/16th the smoke is virtually gone at start up and while driving, however it's picked up an engine rattle around 2000ish rpm. I'm about to post a link for the video just listen right before I change gears, it's almost a chatter.