how do u rebuild stock 6.9 injectords

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Most folks here would say don't bother. They are usualy under $350 for a whole set of NEW ones. There are a few members here who sell quality injectors. Pop tested and ready to go. Typ4 and Agnem are 2 members that come to mind at the moment.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Judging by your grasp of the English language, I suggest you go buy some new injectors instead of trying to rebuild them.

charles h

Reaction score
no im just a bad speller and i would like to know how to rebuild them if i can cause it is fun doing work on trucks and i don't thank that r to bad of injectors cause i pushed the tip in and diesel came out of them but some of the intectors were wet like blow buy on the copper ring

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since your a bad speller, download IEspell, that's a spell check program.

Now the injectors. You can rebuild them if you can find a source for the parts, BUT the parts are more expensive than a new injector, then you have to have a set of micrometers to measure the shim thickness as small as one thousandth, then the shims are impossible to get, unless you have a bunch of injectors to take the shims out of, then a pop tester to test them, in a place that is "Hospital Operating" clean. Furthermore if you don't know how to take one apart, your at a disadvantage already. Check the IDI tech section on how to build a pop tester.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So far the answer postings are really true. I have done the take apart and shimming to make more pressure but its a job. Its simple to get one apart. Clamp the large hex of the body in a bench vice. Then find a 12 point sicket that fits the nozzle end hex. Its looks like many tiny hack saw blade teeth. Then unscrew that till it loose enough. Remove it from the vice and open it up over a clean shop rag or towel. Be careful with the small parts. There is an assembly method to how things return in the injecter. Being clean can't be expressed too much. No dirt can be anywhere near the internals. The pin you have been pushing on has a tight fit in the nozzle. Much less than a ten thousands of an inch. My Navistar shop repair manual says even a finger print on them is dirty. I use white plastic gloves and if I see dirt on them I clean some more.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the spelling and grammar police can find themselves something else to do with their time. noone here is ready to throw rocks at others in glass houses.
a teardown of an injector will reveal very few issues. the details in in the spray pattern, the "chatter" the injector makes when it is working and the pop pressure it takes to get an injector to work. by the time a home mech has gathered all the tools and parts to rebuild an injector, you minus well just go spend the money on brand new that has been tested. i've seen a fleabay user use "bran gnu" as a excuse to defer poorly rebuilt units as "brand new", my suggestion is "buyer beware" you don't know the track record of a fleabay seller, but the reps of the guys who sell here are well known. bottom line is "step up and take a spin" here. you will spend honest earned dollars, but you will know it is will spent and you're not getting ripped off.
or........roll the dice and take your chances. believe me. I've seen ALL THE HORROR STORIES.
end rant.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry but I'm just not seeing the rant in the posting above. Truth be told. We have several members in this forum that sells & test injecters. They absolutely stand behind what they sell. Their work is way beyond the every day shop too. One member pop tested an injecter that was new. It was bad so it got opened up. Found inside was metal shavings from the factory. These delhpi injecters are from mexico and the quality control needs some work. We don't know if they are simpley an assembly plant and the parts are made off shore or what. We have a forum member that lives in mexico and I have asked him several times to "find" the delphi plant but nope. nothing yet. Somebody in the world has to know where the injecter parts come from. If we can find that we might be able to buy parts. At this time to rebuild an injecter its going to cost much more than a set of new injecters. I have three Rotunda pop testers and plenty of shims. But no spare nozzles or pintels. Not much sence in opening and shimming a bad injecter. No home shop has the tools to cut and lap a new seat in the nozzles either.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI Gary. The Delphi parts are made in India, then assembled in Mexico. That is what I have found out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well that sure helps Bill. Now we need an indian forum member to search them out and beg borrow or steel some parts. I just can't see why the parts are more expensive than a complete assembled injecter. Somebody has got to be making money on making parts. Otherwise some shop couldn't stay in business and not make a profit. Anybody up for a trip to india.:angel::D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That was a very nice writeuplong ago by shimon Mor. Probably 10 years ago now. He clearly has all the parts listed. Now everyone can see whats inside these injecters. I actually have a viedo I made showing basically the same stuff. Maybe a little more.. Maybe a little less.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with all of the above..for most part...and speling do'n't count here, we all can interpret forumese pretty darn good!

Bottom line to OP

Take apart yer injectors, but make sure you place them on LINT FREE towelling and that they are better than surgically clean prior to assembly. You don't want a small particle jamming what was a working injector Open and causing you more problems than you started with!

I'd strongly suggest purchase new or some professionally cleaned ones from Mel and pop tested!

Bottom line..U gets what u pay for.

Or just do a diesel Purge of the IP and injectors...do an advanced search use TECH 101 as key words and choose titles only and my user name and you will find the article on how to properly diesel purge your injectors and IP!

Hope that helps

Al