How do I do this intake??

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok this is a pic of my intake off of an old ATS and you can see it doesnt exactly match up with the Banks Turbo... How should I go about connecting them and getting the connection to hold a sufficient amount of boost? Right now I can only hit six lbs and I think I have plenty of fuel so my guess is a boost leak... Any Ideas?

Attachments

• new intake hat 003.jpg
    new intake hat 003.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 46
  • new intake hat 002.jpg
    new intake hat 002.jpg
    646.7 KB · Views: 63

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because the original style banks that was on there had a few problems I couldnt stand:

CDR got oil everywhere including the intake, very challenging to do any work on the motor because the entire box has to come off and its a PITA to have to deal with, blocked the whole view of the engine, didnt want a K and N air filter, and a few other reasons...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Here's what I'd do, clock the hat so that the opening is facing the drivers fender, from there you should be able to measure the geometry of what kind of 90* elbow you want welded to the hat. Personally thats what I'd do.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha its funny you say that because I just thought of that. I can get a hold of a 99 powerstroke IC for free probably. We shall see. Do you think I would have to clock the turbo a little?? Is there anybody else with a non gated banks that has an intercooler?

Thanks,
Lance

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem with that is the hat rubs the exhaust housing at about 60 degrees. What is the hat made out of? If its metal I can do some fabbing to reduce the hump a little....

Thanks

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IC is a great idea for the kind of boost numbers you plan to make, but if you don't fix whatever is causing your low boost you'll be unhappy as it will be even lower with the IC.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IC is a great idea for the kind of boost numbers you plan to make, but if you don't fix whatever is causing your low boost you'll be unhappy as it will be even lower with the IC.

I know what you mean, I know this thing is capable of more, as I have had it up to 11 or so with the old Banks setup so I think I just need to improve on sealing up my intake better. I dont think I am running out of fuel cause I can completely smoke someone out if i really want to.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were the one that used to hang out with Crash 86 IIRC and I remember he was making some sick boost numbers with his old banks system and then went to an Aurora 2000 ATS right??