Homemade Turbo Kit

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been wanting to make my own turbo kit. I have a lot of stainless tubing and a bender so i was thinking of making a new set of headers that come up to the top of the engine and into the turbo. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Has anyone done this before?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1066 IH sitting at home doing nothing. I think it needs a purpose. Parts of it already have been given jobs, but there is that very nice turbo sitting up top. I may not be the greatest welder in the world with stick, but my dad can weld Hello Kitty to a plastic swimming pool together using low hydrogen rods. I keep wondering about building a high flow exhaust kit using the OLDS 350 manifolds as a guide. Like them or not, they were a very good flowing system for a diesel

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice IH tractor by the way. You in IA have so damn much earth to work you get the nice toys. We're lucky if we have 8" at points

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish that tractor was mine. I found that pic online there are only 3 of those ant eaters made I farm with my cousin in southern il we have nothing but clay hills here. The turbo I plan to use is off of a 1466 so basicaly the same my cousin decided to start pulling his ang put a new air research turbo on so now I have a spare.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think I would do a side mount sorta like a cummins but further up and out. My way would involve relocating the passenger battery though. Maybe more work, but I don't like the whole back of the engine setup. This way you could still get to stuff on the engine real easy.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be really neat to do a side mount and make it twin turbo but i think that it would be a little overkill. Maybe when i win the lottory i will build a twin turbo setup for a pulling truck. Has anyone seen the banks twin turbo kit for the duramax. something like that would be cool but i would deffinately need a moose pump with that setup