Holley red pump

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking for some input.
I am thinking of putting the holley red pump in place of my lift pump, And was looking for suggestions on how to wire it.
To a keyed power source?? if so how does that wouk when the glow plugs are cycling? I guess the fuel just bypasses???
I would appricate any input.
Thanks
John

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Okigringo writed some good info on how to wire it. I wired to one that was hot when the key is on put a 30 amp relay and that was it. Install it as close as possible to the fuel tank selector, also You need a big chevy block cover plate for the lift pump.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yep, the fuel would bypass while glow plugs are cycling. You should also wire in a oil pressure sensor for safety, if not, could have a wreck and perforate the fuel line and empty your tank causing one heck of a fire hazard. I have a relay that is triggered by a keyed trigger wire. The power for the pump runs from that through a low oil pressure sensor in the driver side oil port, then runs back to the pump. My original concern was that the fuel pump would have no power until the oil pressure reached 7 PSI, so I also added a switch under the hood for filling fuel filters etc. I just trigger the relay, so any switch would do as far as AMP capacity (relay is like .085 AMP). At any rate, I have had mine this way for about a year, no problems starting and such. My truck usually rolls about 1/2 revolution and is running.

I have a picture of a diagram someone else posted, but it is so small (I believe it was reduced to it the image size requirements of this site) that you can't read it and enlarging it seems to fuzz the text, pm your email addy and I will forward it to you. Sorry I can't credit it's creator as I don't know who created it.
Scott

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Exekiel69 said:
Okigringo writed some good info on how to wire it. I wired to one that was hot when the key is on put a 30 amp relay and that was it. Install it as close as possible to the fuel tank selector, also You need a big chevy block cover plate for the lift pump.
I appricate the response.
Why dose it have to be close to the selector?
I wasnt sure if I had to make a block off plate or not.
Thanks
John

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thinking

sle2115 said:
Yep, the fuel would bypass while glow plugs are cycling. You should also wire in a oil pressure sensor for safety, if not, could have a wreck and perforate the fuel line and empty your tank causing one heck of a fire hazard. I have a relay that is triggered by a keyed trigger wire. The power for the pump runs from that through a low oil pressure sensor in the driver side oil port, then runs back to the pump. My original concern was that the fuel pump would have no power until the oil pressure reached 7 PSI, so I also added a switch under the hood for filling fuel filters etc. I just trigger the relay, so any switch would do as far as AMP capacity (relay is like .085 AMP). At any rate, I have had mine this way for about a year, no problems starting and such. My truck usually rolls about 1/2 revolution and is running.

I have a picture of a diagram someone else posted, but it is so small (I believe it was reduced to it the image size requirements of this site) that you can't read it and enlarging it seems to fuzz the text, pm your email addy and I will forward it to you. Sorry I can't credit it's creator as I don't know who created it.
Scott
Thats a good ideea using the oil pressure sensor.
I pm you with me e mail :thumbsup:
Thanks for the response
Thganks
John

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks Exekiel, I believe it was Okie who posted the picture I have (that I emailed by the way. Would be nice to get it into the tech articles in full size.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the question of locating the electric fuel pump close to the selector, I think it is a good idea. However my 1988 F250 has an electric pump that was on it when I got it and it is bolted to a bracket just under the passenger side battery area. It seems to work perfectly. I just thought I would let you know that it will work in other places, but the fuel selector location is probably the best.

akoldnav

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
For best results and longest pump life you really need it close to the selector since pumps push not suck by design.Well,Most do.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
As Jonathan said the pump will push better than it sucks and like in My case I use veggy oil and the closer to the fsv the better. Also I do not have a filter before the pump I don't know what difference would that make I already have a filter before the IP and btw the Holley comes with a screen mesh inside that will protect the pump. If I where to put a filter it would be after the pump I think.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If your pump were to fail with no filter in front of it, the manufacturer would not be responsible for replacement, even if in the warranty period. The screen filter is ok, but would not stop particulate the size of sand or smaller. Do as you please, I will keep running my perma cool filter/separator. The filters are like $14 much less than the 7.3 filters which last much longer by having a 2 micron filter ahead of them.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You are right it is best to have a filter before the pump. I just never had luck with a product that goes bad and I have to pay the seller to replace it for Me so I take my chances with the pump, so far I tell You the ff is been there for about 4 months this time (last one 1 1/2 year) and no signs of clooging, also I guess the guys at holley put the screen on the pump so what ever goes through it will not damage the pump since the screen filters really thin, have You guys seen it? Mine was clooged twice when I first started using veggy (cleaning the tank maybe) and never again but the filter is still there.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
have You guys seen it?

I have, just finished putting one on my buddies pulling tractor, it is fine, but I just feel better having a two micron on there that also helps remove water.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather ruin a pump than be laying under the truck in the rain trying to figure out why it isn't getting any fuel. Just my opinion of course.