Holley red pump

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'd rather ruin a pump than be laying under the truck in the rain trying to figure out why it isn't getting any fuel. Just my opinion of course.

Well, that is fine if you have more money then time (fuel pump $100, filter $14). I can change mine with the dump bed raised and stay pretty dry. Besides that, I can always bypass the filter if need be, rain, snow or dry, but if your fuel pump dies in the middle of nowhere in the middle of nowhen, you are SOL!!! I'll take my chances as it is, with the Perma Cool filter.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have an advantage there. And while I can't say for sure, I suspect the pump would go out slowly so you might have some warning.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You have an advantage there. And while I can't say for sure, I suspect the pump would go out slowly so you might have some warning.

I would hope it would as well, although my last pump (el cheapo) didn't. I parked the truck one night, went out the next day, it started ran long enough to get me and my old tandem axle trailer out of the driveway and into the road and died. Maybe if I had been more familiar with it, there would have been signs. I know after replacing it, there were signs, my truck ran MUCH better, so if it was a deterioration, it might have been a long one.

Exekiel69

Reaction score

Yep it does, as long as You don't push hard the rpm's it will drive for days.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yep it does, as long as You don't push hard the rpm's it will drive for days.

Maybe with the Holley Red, but the little round can type from Autozone (that is what was on my truck when I bought it) must cause a restriction when they fail as mine would not run AT ALL! :) Kind of glad it did, now it runs much better with having the proper pressure and more than enough flow with the Carter pump.

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i run a holley red on my truck, have for years,carry a spare brhind the seat just in case. what i wanted to add was that holley doesn't recommend the red pump for our trucks, only gasoline and therefore will not replace under warrentee

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
i run a holley red on my truck, have for years,carry a spare brhind the seat just in case. what i wanted to add was that holley doesn't recommend the red pump for our trucks, only gasoline and therefore will not replace under warrentee

If it fails, remove from vehicle, pour some gas all over it and take it back! :thumbsup:

That is exactly what I was doing with the Carter for the Carter rep. They changed the design on their pump so it would be diesel compatible. I have been running mine for almost a year and last I knew, they were just waiting for the NOS to be sold off before stating it was diesel approved. Not sure when/if they will do that, but I love mine and it was half the cost of the Holley.