Hi-Torque Starters

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the difference between the 83-84 starters and the 85 and later? All the hi trque starters are for 85 and later. Eason

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think they came out with a gear reduction starter after those early years. I haven't owned an early one but I have heard they are direct drive. There are two styles of the gear reduction starters. The mitsubishi and the nippodenso. I had the mitsu and have a brand new nippo sitting here waiting to go on.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Whats the difference between the 83-84 starters and the 85 and later? All the hi trque starters are for 85 and later. Eason

First came the direct drive, then they improved on it with the mitsubishi style, then they improved on that with the nippondenso style which is the latest and is the same type used on the power chokes although the ones for an IDI don't have the same gear tooth count so don't get a PSD one. THey will all bolt up the same so it's a matter of choice. My local diesel electric shop wouldn't sell me a mitsu. The guy doesn't like to sell the things unless there is a clearance problem where a denso starter won't fit because he has too many of the mitsu starters come back on him. That was good enough for me and about 5 years ago now that denso starter spins like crazy

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get starters here. Great prices, shipping, & service.
Don't try to start with low batteries...will injure your starter suppin' terrible.

Rick

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting is so true... A low battery will not handle any starter for long.. That happens is as the voltage drops the amps go up... More amps = more heat... Much more heat... Then the starter will throw lead because its melting. When this is happening we are getting a warning sign... The slowing of the starter tells us things are not right... The faster these engines crank over the hotter the compressed air is. A slow cranking engine can't make enough heat for diesel combustion... Diesel ignites around 940 degrees....:eek: Thats how hot the air must be for ignition to take place in a diesel. Glow plugs are an aid for this but they are kinda just a band aid. Have your engine cranking so fast that you can't count the rpms and it will start easy. Please... As you hear the starter slowing down don't hold the ignition switch till it stops turning... You know its not going to start as its slowing down... I know this is hard to just give up and maybe just another second or two will do it... Nope.... Not gonna happen. Starters aren't cheap...

bubblegum

stray catgirl
Reaction score
I have a question - my friend says someone on here who is a professional mechanic (or owns a repair shop, or something like that) once mentioned that Mitsubishi starters are more reliable when it comes to starting with low batteries, and that the Nippondenso starters crank the engines faster but also melt internally if the batteries are not up to full voltage - can anyone confirm or deny this for me please? I have started my truck several times with partially low batteries, I am not proud of it but it had to be done, and my starter (my friend says it is Mitsubishi) still works okay to this day, so I am a bit afraid to have a Nippondenso starter installed just to see it explode the next time I forget my lights on.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had pretty good luck with mitsubishi starters so far. Heard the same thing about the denso starters but no personal experience.

Welcome to the *other* dark side;Sweet

bubblegum

stray catgirl
Reaction score
David, actually I joined this site the same day I joined the other one, but the things you discuss here are usually way way out of my league, so I just hide in the shadows most of the time.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had pretty good luck with the mitsu starters also they do seem to be pretty heavy duty but I believe the solenoid is going out on mine. I bought a new nippo and have it sitting here waiting to go on when I get a chance. I know the mitsu I have on now has taken a beating a few times and it still actually starts the truck. There must be moisture inside the solenoid on mine because when it gets below freezing the starter just clicks and if I heat it up real quick with a bottle torch it will spin right over. Or if I plug it in the heat from the engine warms it up enough to free it. Its getting annoying but at least I can start it by plugging it in for a while.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ANY starter will be killed by low batteries. I have rebuilt many of both and have had trouble more with mitsu's, so I call 50/50.

bubblegum

stray catgirl
Reaction score
So then, 50/50 on reliability, but Nippondenso wins at engine-cranking speed, thus making Nippondenso the better starter?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance