help with ip install

erikbala

Ride rank make Bank
Reaction score
hey guys

well i ordered an ip from uhaul, and attempted to install it today.
i have ran into a few issues,

the first being the threads on the brass fuel return elbow fell apart does anybody know there i can get one? or what the part number may be.

the second problem is the throttle arm is not the same on the new pump compared to the old, the issue with this is the spring now rubs the bracket, and i am unable to even depress the throttle. is there anything i can do about this.

i understand that what i wrote may not make much sense but im not sure of any better way to word sorry fellas

erikbala

Ride rank make Bank
Reaction score
here is where the spring comes into contact

Attachments

• 2011-10-23 17.30.57.jpg
    2011-10-23 17.30.57.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 30

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
For the elbow: That looks like the inlet fitting..... I dont know where you can get one, but Mel (Agnem) sells a braided stainless hose that will replace that fitting, the one on the filter and the hardline, as well as those rubber seals that like to leak.

Spring: Is it rubbing on the bracket for the idle up solenoid? I'm not sure about that one because mine didnt do that when i swapped pumps...

erikbala

Ride rank make Bank
Reaction score
the elbow is off the front of the ip,

yet another issue has popped up, on the throttle cable there is a plactic cable guide that is broken and is now to short to guide the cable without catching and dose not allow the accelerator to be depressed, where can i find one of these.

i am now without a vehicle till i get this resolved

thanks for the help guys

Attachments

• ipo.jpg
    ipo.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 25

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Your best bet is to replace the cable. I priced one for my 86 at $44...

I broke all the plastic out of mine so its just the cable inside the spring. Not the best option, but i've been running it like that for several months....

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I paid like 17 for a cable on my 94 from advanced auto. They break down over time and timing my truck finished mine off.

erikbala

Ride rank make Bank
Reaction score
anybody know if the idle up solenoid on a 6.9 is different in any way from that of a 7.3, mainly shape wise that would cause my issue.

any info on the ip return elbow would be greatly appreciated. i think im gonna go to the local junk ward tomorrow and see if i can find one but if i could get one new id be alot happier.

thanks again guys

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
how do buy a ip from UHAUL??? Uhaul like the place u rent trailers and moving trucks?????

go to ebay, they are listed in uhaul store. i cant look them up in work but they are not hard to find. they dont have many if any left though.

not sure on the elbow new but i might have a spare i can send if you cant find one.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
any info on the ip return elbow would be greatly appreciated. i think im gonna go to the local junk ward tomorrow and see if i can find one but if i could get one new id be alot happier

I got mine from a local pump rebuilder, he didnt have a price for it so he just gave it to me for free.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About the broken return fitting. Any fuel injection opump repair shop or wrecking yard will have that part. Look at the chevy diesels too because they use the same pump we use. Or just replace that fitting with a threaded and hose barbed fitting. That is a gravity feed drain line going back to the fuel tanks so there is only about 1 lb of pressure on it. Some early trucks had this hard line all the way up to the pump like what you have. Mine is a short piece of rubber fuel rated hose and much easier to work around. Now for the spring.. Thats an easy fix. Remove the spring and turn it over so the end clip connects to the bottom of the bracket on the bottom. That will move the spring coil the thickness away from the bracket...:sly Now for the throttle cable. You do not have it installed in the bracket at the intake manifold air horn. Get those clips into the bracket. Now about the broken sheath... You can break it off by sliding back the spring and use a pair of pliars to crush it but be careful not to hurt the cable. Actually you are going to need to replace it sometime down the road but this will get you back on the rods. Thanks for the pictures. They really help to see whats going on..:thumbsup:

erikbala

Ride rank make Bank
Reaction score
okay so i found the elbow at a pump shop, he gave it to me:thumbsup:

but my next issue is the idle solenoid, the throttle lever on the pump dose not hit the silonoid enough to disengage it. :mad:

so my question is, are the the idle up solenoid different between the 6.9l and the 7.3l:dunno

the throttle lever on my old pump is shaped different (1 solid peice) than the on on the uhaul pump ( 2 levers wired together)