help me please!!!

saxonpesko

Reaction score
hi i have a 1992 f350 7.3 idi 5 speed 4x4 crew cab long bed with 130,000

i just picked it up and i cant diagnose this problem.......

Power loss, hard start, smoking and a VERY STRANGE sound out the exhaust........

i checked out dieselman and have checked the regular stuff......

It has BRAND NEW.....

injectors, glow plugs, and INJECTOR PUMP.....

all these were replaced to fix the problem but no change.......

the sound is like a loping miss out the exhaust.......

is there a possability i have a broken rocker on the exhaust valve???

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!-cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Could be a number of things, leaking valve, bent pushrod, broken valve spring, broken valve. Maybe something simple.
Has this thing ever ran properly since you've known it, or is this the way youy found it?

----------Robert

rip van sparky

Reaction score
my previous engine made a very strange sound out the exhaust for 40,000 miles before it dropped a valve at idle, then it made a REALLY strange sound but still ran

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Broken exhaust valve rocker will usually backfire through the intake side when it opens. I agree with the compression test, I would pull both rocker covers off as you will get a good look at the valve train when turning it over and you might see something really easy (like several cam lobes rounded off, one sticking valve, etc.)

Good luck

saxonpesko

Reaction score
MMMMMM.........

Hey guys...... thanks.........

so far the compression test yielded good with over 350 all the way around.....

and it HAS NOT ever run good in my presence...... the last owner used it very little.......

I am waiting for my buddy to help with the valvetrain check under the valve covers.......

im still wondering about that sound....... like a train or steam engine...... not like any diesel iv heard....... not the motor but tailpipe........

What would round off the cam lobes...... anyway thanks so far!!!!!! Saxoncookoo cookoo cookoo cookoo cookoo cookoo cookoo

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well instead of a compression test perhaps it's time to do a leakdown test. I find that they provide a more accurate diagnosis of symptoms.

saxonpesko

Reaction score
leakdown test???

mmm sounds interesting........ what am i looking for and what can it show me......... do tell please.......

saxon:eek: :eek: :eek:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mines been makeing a woofing sound out the tail pipe since the first time i had an emissions test done on it.its been 100,000 miles and 6 years now and aint had anything arise from the noise.:hail

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drop the Y pipe, so you can hear which side of the engine is originating the noise. You may also hear it a lot clearer without the exhaust attached. That way you can target the suspect valve cover right away, and do your compression tests on that side first.

saxonpesko

Reaction score
yeah i got SCREWED......

the guy who worked on my truck got sick and his disfunctional helper did a little rounding when doing my compression test........

only 2 were over 350 and one regestered 0000 im talking dead...... another was 220 and the rest were 100+-....... im screwed.......

im looking for drop in motors now.......

is there any hope for this motor??????

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would still pull the valve covers off and see if the rockers are all moving relatively the same. It's a long shot, but a worn out camshaft can significantly lower compression numbers. You might as well as it's you last chance to diagnose it before physically removing the engine.

R. J.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert