Help!! Injector seized and came apart

FiThgear90

Reaction score
So I was putting some reman injectors in my 87 6.9 idi. Got the first three out and three remans in their place, but on the fourth one (very back driver side) it cam apart. Top half came out with a little strength. But the bottom is still down in the injection hole. I tried bench grinding to half of injector threads and got them gone so I could easily put down in hole and hopefully thread the bottom and slowly wiggle it out. But I either stripped the the piece in the hole or it’s just got so much carbon I can’t wiggle and break it free. Could really use some suggestions

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the top half back out, gently scrape the carbon off the exposed bore with a screwdriver and pick, soak everything with a good penetrating oil and let it sit for a little bit. Then thread the top back in and try again.

If worst comes to worse you can CAREFULLY thread a 5/8-11 tap into the lower half and use a nut and all thread to pull it out. I would do that as a LAST resort though.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is a little old and hope the OP got his injector out. Here is another method of extracting them. It sacrifices an injector but it’s pretty effective.

Grind the mounting threads off the top half of the body.

You must be registered for see images attach

the top of the injector is M12. I tapped half of a long nut that goes to my slide hammer.

Screw it back in firmly. Peck it out. If you don’t have room for a slide hammer, you can make a puller with a piece of tube and some threaded rod.

this is what’s in the bore. Clean thoroughly.

Hopefully this helps someone else in a search.