Help, can't open tailgate, have to unload concrete

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Its on my 83, passenger side, I assume it a cable or rod that broke, but I need to just open it for now if there is a way to trigger the open function, I can't see any access panel.

I looked at it some more, it is a rod that disconnected itself at the handle.

I think I need to remove the three nuts at the top inside of the gate, drop down the handle and reconnect, someone please verify.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may try removing the tail gate release handle, then there should be two rods one to each side attached to that, carefully undo plastic clips...THEY BREAK EASY!!!!!

Now you may be able to pull the rod if it's connected still or stretched/bent....

Other option...get a screw driver down between the latch from in the corner of the box, if your truck is worn at all it could be just caught up..you may be able to wiggle a driver in there and press the latch back....

JM2CW

Al

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Grab a pair of needle nose vise grip pliers and lock em on the loose rod and pull the same time lift the handle.
My plow truck just did tat too me last weekend hauling firewood. :mad:

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
OK, thanks, I got it apart, but I have a question about the plastic clips, I assume the metal rod has two pieces of plastic clip on each side of the rod? I ask because I have only one piece of plastic on one side of the rod. I assume it is broke (which is why the rod fell out?!) If so can the plastic clips still be bought? Is there a work around to get the rod to stay in there you guys have figured out?

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Thanks Exekiel, I will try, I live in a town of only 1,200 people and have just a NAPA store, no help "section" there, I assume they will get help from elsewhere, even when I go to a "big city" its only a town of 12,000 30 minutes away.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember, I'll check with Lordco's help section when I go to town, see if I can find the part #....

Try a local wrecker for the part....just saying...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried shoving it sideways to slide it? The hinges on mine are bent up so the gate slides to the right and gets stuck. For a ugly fix i shoved a small crowbar or a chisel in there and hit it with a hammer and pryed it. Didnt feel like wasting time doing it 'right' on thi beat to hell bed. Didnt do much except scratch paint and maybe small dents.

I wouldnt do it on a pristine bed..!