headlights suck @$$, what can i do?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
thanks russ, this prompts me to investigate what the actual voltage to the bulbs is now.

GSF35099

Reaction score
ok i went and picked up some Sylvania silver star ultra bulbs at Autozone for $50. the light is brighter and whiter but still poorly focused. it's foggy out tonight so i can't really tell how the high beams are yet. the new bulbs do make enough of a difference over the old halogens that i will take my time finding a good deal on new fixtures.

69oiler,
Do your lenses on your truck have that yellow blurry look to them? The issue that I see with mine is that the lense is discolored.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
my lenses are not yellowed or discolored. nor are they particularly scratched-fogged up. which is why i'm surprised how poorly they work. i will get some polish and see if that helps.

maybe it's an aiming issue. when i switch from low beams to high beams, the light raises up a little but the distance lit barely improves. my wife's Escape has dramatically better high beams as does my IDI with halogen sealed beams. but my low beams seem like they might blind traffic if i raise them.

the silver star ultra bulbs help a little but i find it hard not to overdrive my lights at night. i think the design if the 2002 lights with the clear lenses are probably the answer. the diffusing effect of the lenses on my 99 is ineffective.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Rob I had to play around with my new lights to get them where I wanted them. Find a dark parking lot and play with the adjustments. Hey it's something to try, and it's free.

GSF35099

Reaction score

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
got a chance to use the high beams tonight. did a little towing, an empty equipment trailer. tows nice.

new bulbs helped out. maybe now some driving lights. any recommendations?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online