New age headlights

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So I'm toying with the idea of getting some better headlights for my truck. I had HID swapped my old volkswagen, and my current car has LED, having the nice clear light and sharp cutoff to not blind oncoming traffic is nice.

What have y'all done with your headlights to update them to be like newer vehicles?

To be clear, dropping in HID's or LED's into the stock housing is 100% what I'm avoiding to do. Light diffusion is too much in a stock headlamp assembly.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to keep the standard headlights and put diode dynamics yellow led fogs on the front. Was kind of a 2fer because they really help with illumination but also are fogs.
Would still like to upgrade headlights but it’s just not really necessary now

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm toying with the idea of getting some better headlights for my truck. I had HID swapped my old volkswagen, and my current car has LED, having the nice clear light and sharp cutoff to not blind oncoming traffic is nice.

What have y'all done with your headlights to update them to be like newer vehicles?

To be clear, dropping in HID's or LED's into the stock housing is 100% what I'm avoiding to do. Light diffusion is too much in a stock headlamp assembly.
Wish I could help, I tried 2 types of LED drop-in and they are terrible. Just blind the whole world. Yes they are much brighter but that's not an OK trade-off.
So I'm in the same boat, wish there was a nice HID install that could be done that's quality like a factory setup.

The best I've got so far is quality bulbs and Broncograveyard's headlight relay kit. Works well, easy install, and takes all the juice off the stock headlight switch.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'll have to check out bronco graveyard as a start. I definitely don't want to be that guy whose blinding the world with cheap half azzed drop in bulbs.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m definitely interested in this thread. I did the headlight relay mod, and it’s better but still nothing like a newer car. It’s still 1980’s headlight technology, so I don’t know what I was expecting lol.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Less power draw through the switch. I need to do that mod, my headlight switch connector is so brittle.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I picked up new headlight housings. You can get them with different light diffusion than the OEMs. Then switched them to LEDs or HIDS or whatever they are. Not expensive, 10x better than stock, less draw/heat, and they have that clean cutoff line that you can adjust easily and accurately.

I will try and find the ones I switched to because they do not have that light diffusion issue you mentioned and are much more clear. I think I still have a box they came in.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yea, I really like that "cut-off line" of the new headlights. When they designed those things did they only ever live in a area that was flat? It's hilly where I live and if someone is behind you it's like they are flashing you with their headlights each time they go up and over a small grade or hill. Great design.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the stock 1993 headlight appearance - which I recently replaced as the ones I installed in 2006 had already started getting fogged plus one had moisture inside. I've seen too many older vehicle's stock looks spoiled by new-age headlamps that look too different when off. The traditional stock replacement assemblies are starting to get a little harder to find for this 30 year old vehicle.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Snooping around the internets this morning, apparently LMC sells stuff.... For OBS body style. Projector headlights would be nice, but not offered for bricks.

@ISPKI if you find that link, I'll check them out.

I wish I had a photo of the clean cutoff that my old tdi had with the upgraded HID housings. Would help show what I'm trying to find, some of you know what I'm referring to though.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snooping around the internets this morning, apparently LMC sells stuff.... For OBS body style. Projector headlights would be nice, but not offered for bricks.

@ISPKI if you find that link, I'll check them out.

I wish I had a photo of the clean cutoff that my old tdi had with the upgraded HID housings. Would help show what I'm trying to find, some of you know what I'm referring to though.
Oh yeah, he's got the OBS. Darn, I was hoping too...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well they aren't cheap, but you can buy some Aussies to put in your truck, then you can get lights for a Bull Nose with replaceable bulbs and run LEDs in them.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these are two I have found that look to have made decent projectors and these the ones that would fit yours

I like these and may get them for mine at some point

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Holy hot dog those are expensive. Even the HID's I bought for my old vw weren't that much.
Still searching. Didn't get much time to browse today, was busy serving the Audi today. Diff/tcase fluid is expensive.