headlights suck @$$, what can i do?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
the stock headlights on my '99 suck. they may be the worst headlights on any vehicle i have driven. what can i do to upgrade them? i have the foglight/headlight switch on the dash (pull out for fog lights) but the truck is not equipped with them. is the foglight wiring there at the front bumper?

any suggestions on the best way the get killer light output legally and without breaking the bank?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
02 or newer lights, also a diy brightbox will help on high beams.
also been sellin alot of silverstar ultra bulbs at the parts store.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
what's the best way to get the 02 style lights? or should i just goto the dealer

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
By "headlights suck" do you mean poor illumination from the bulb or poor design of the headlight lens?

I did four things to improve mine (but it's an OBS). I got Silver Star bulbs, an upgraded wiring harness, diamond clear headlights and PIAA 520 yellow fog lamps.

What about HIDs?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i get very dim-looking un-focused light. high beams are no better than low beams. the sealed beams on my IDI seem twice as bright as the SD lights. i'm half tempted to convert to a sealed beam setup if i cant find a better option.

i was thinking about aftermarket headlights, i will check the junkyards but we dont have any good junkyards around here, they are closing down and wal marts and giant eagles are opening in their place.

rebelchevy02

Reaction score
By "headlights suck" do you mean poor illumination from the bulb or poor design of the headlight lens?

The lens on the 99-01 trucks gets to be worn, from the sun and scratched. Someone told me they wet sanded them with great success, and that helped clear them some, but i still think 02+ headlights are far superior, Id check ebay if junk yards prove useless.

GSF35099

Reaction score
69oiler,

Did you ever purchase new lights and have you had any success?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online