Headlight Tech Articles

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this mod? How does it work? My major concern is: does the forced low beam switch(when high beam are on so are the low beams) really make a difference?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I installed a LMC relay kit. Im happy with it.... much less stress on the headlight switch. I have not noticed much difference in brightness however.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Your bulbs have 2 elements, the lows are not on when the highs are on. The lmc kit is gonna be just the same but with easy to follow instructions and a middle mans mark up of prob 500% for relays you can buy on ebay, parts house or a car audio shop. They usually come with their own wiring diagram on the box, accompanied with that diagram and the tech articles it is really pretty simple to wire in two relays(one for highs and one for lows) and yes it makes a great big difference, you'll kick yourself for even having to ask.;Sweet

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i wouldnt recommend running both at the same time, its a good way to burn out the bulbs faster and head up the housing. on the 92+ trucks (and most modern vehicles) on the turn signal stock u can pull back for a "flash to pass" which allows the highs to come on with the lows when u pull back. does it increase visibility? u bet but it puts a huge strain on the bulbs.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
The LMC harness is somethin else....why sell a harness kit with relays that aren't readily available any damn where?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet I built my own head-light relay system and gained DRAMATIC increases in light.

I went from barely 9-volts at the bulbs to full alternator voltage of about 14.5-volts.

I can see plumb into the next county.

I have a toggle-switch that will combine BRIGHTs and DIMs together, and it WILL make for even brighter lights; however, like already stated, the increased heat inside the bulb spells quick death for the elements.

One more fact; with genuine full-voltage lights, good old Sylvania Silver Stars will barely last a week; however, during their short life, they will really reach on out there. :thumbsup:

For longer bulb life, I down-graded one notch and get far longer bulb life.
;Sweet

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Although I have'nt read the Tech Article, I don't believe that it states the high beam and low beam are on at the same time.

You should not wire them to have both beams come on together, unless You upgrade the plugs with ceramic's, and even then, the chance of melting the OEM sockets is there. If You don't use ceramic plugs, and wire the Highs/Lows to come on together, You can pretty much expect the plugs to melt. Maybe starting a fire.

FYI, Some time ago I posted a link to a company that makes ceramic plugs with 12 ga wire.

I have Mine relayed with 55/100 watt bulbs and ceramic plugs. They're almost to bright. When I come up to large road signs, the reflection is just about unbearable.

tractorman86

Reaction score
One more fact; with genuine full-voltage lights, good old Sylvania Silver Stars will barely last a week; however, during their short life, they will really reach on out there. :thumbsup:

For longer bulb life, I down-graded one notch and get far longer bulb life.[/B] ;Sweet

Is this concerning the relay mod or the switch for highs and lows?

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
Both on at once is a bad move found that out on another vehicle of mine hid is the way to go if your looking for bright

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet I built my own head-light relay system and gained DRAMATIC increases in light.
I went from barely 9-volts at the bulbs to full alternator voltage of about 14.5-volts.
I can see plumb into the next county.
I have a toggle-switch that will combine BRIGHTs and DIMs together, and it WILL make for even brighter lights; however, like already stated, the increased heat inside the bulb spells quick death for the elements.
For longer bulb life, I down-graded one notch and get far longer bulb life.
;Sweet

Thanks I plan on doing this mod I just wasn't sure if it made a huge difference but sounds like it does.
Do u use your forced high beam switch often, or are you glad you did install it?

Is this concerning the relay mod or the switch for highs and lows?

He's saying with 14.5 volts so the relay mod itself.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Only can do the forced low beams on a dual lamp setup like chevy uses. I had it on my 02 gmc and loved it. Click high beams on and lows stayed on also just had to ground a relay in the gmc.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I did the headlight relay and put in composite housings at the same time. It made a world of difference. If you are looking for brightness, it is worth checking into the composites too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle