Headlight relay kit

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the LMC kit and an extra relay Friday night. Now I wish I would have built my own. Oh well, its not that big of a deal, I guess - would have been nice to save $20 and have common relays though.

You can take consolation in the fact that the LMC kit works fine and that odds are you'll probably never have a problem with it if you mount the relays someplace secure. Just don't forget the circuit protection on the two power supply lines, whether it's fuses or breakers.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've built a harness like this for each vehicle I've ever owned and it's been incredible. Even with the stock headlights it's a huge plus. And any way you can reduce resistance is a good thing. I prefer to solder each connection so I can reduce resistance and therefore reduce amperage and increase the harness' s efficiency and the lights' output. So running a little oversized wire is not a bad thing. Plus saving the amount of load that the switch has to handle will be cheap insurance against overheating and burning things out.

This is really a cheap way to maximize your truck's efficiency and an easy way at that.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you guys solder the wires, do you simply try to wrap it around each other, use lead free solder, and heat shrink it afterward? I've only used crimped butt connectors in the past. Would there be a notable difference between the two?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Even correctly crimping, I have problems with crimps lasting.
I've used heat shrink and tape over them, no difference.

If you solder, slide the heat shrink way out of the way, and let the solder cool a good bit before sliding it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For stranded wire, do you try to separate the strands of each end and then twist them together or is it sufficient to just lay them on top of one another and then solder?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've used different techniques.
Usually just twist them together, solder, then fold it over.

They make solder crimps, but I haven't used them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjcsr

Reaction score
decided to look online and pick up 5 relays with sockets, itll be here any day.
going to do headlights and fogs.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5 pack listed in this thread from amazon is a 5 pin, so it has acc, ground, power, and two outputs, one that is on when the relay is closed, and another that is on when the relay is open. With this, it should only take 1 relay to do the headlights correct?

Wire up the low beams to the 87a socket, the high beams to the 87 socket, and turn the relay on with the high beam wire coming from the cab?

Or am I missing something, and it will still require 2 relays.

I am referencing the following diagram.
http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/bosch/relay.htm

Edit: Nope I think I'm wrong, if the low beams were connected to 87a, the headlights would recieve power even when even when the headlight switch is off. Darn.

Last edited:

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want high and low beams, and for the current for neither to run through the headlight switch, you're gonna need two relays.

tjcsr

Reaction score
got em today. $15 shipped.headed to junk yard later this week to snag some factory bosch relays. Should have it all wired this weekend. Cant wait
You must be registered for see images attach

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For stranded wire, do you try to separate the strands of each end and then twist them together or is it sufficient to just lay them on top of one another and then solder?

I just tin the ends, then put them together and fill them in with a drop of solder on the iron. If you use heat shrink tubing then it protects the joint from vibration. Haven't had one fail yet.

tjcsr

Reaction score
Everything wired up and working, now to wait till night time to check it out.
took a little longer then i wanted but the lil man has been grumpy today. about 2.5 hours total.

Nut Tree

Reaction score
Very interested to see the results. My LMC relay kit came in, but I won't be able to put it in until next weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac